Applying to both MHA and MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kon2D3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been told that it's unwise to apply to two different departments at the same university (like health management vs. epidemiology) since it could make me look like I am unsure of what I want to do, but can I apply to an MHA and MPH program at the same school with a focus in Health Management/Policy?

I would like to apply to both in order to keep my options open and see what happens, but I don't want to do it if it hurts my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump, hopefully someone has an idea?

I can see that concern, but I don't have specific experience with it. I will comment on the choice of an MHA, though.

Unless you really like the specific courses of the MHA program (or are okay with less flexibility), I would recommend you apply to an MBA program and the MPH rather than MHA and MPH. People in medicine respect decent MBA degrees, as do people in business/finance/law. There really isn't reciprocity in terms of business/law/finance giving the same respect to an MHA degree from a similarly impressive school (despite what people with MHAs will tell you). This also would give you more of a reasonable explanation if it's at the same school: "I want to get some business background and I want to further my understand of public health." Then, you can pick whichever or both programs.