Applying to both PA and MD at the same school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scurred09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with this? Will either program find out that the student applied to both programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I am guessing they would not find out, however, if the PA program did, I am also guessing ur app would be in jeopardy. I do not see the school of medicine even thinking to look at something like this. just my thought tho

PA and MD schools are generally interlinked, sharing faculty and often the same premises. If you apply to both programs at the same institution, where such applications will go through the same office, I think they will likely be aware that you're applying to two programs. Maybe this would be looked down on, and maybe not. Maybe it isn't allowed (some schools allow only one outstanding application at a time). You might call anonymously and ask. If it would not be viewed in a neutral fashion, apply to separate institutions for each program.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is that my cousin applied to PA school this year, interviewed, then realized that he wanted to pursue MD instead. His goal is to get involve with doctors w/o borders and being a pa has its limitation. So he wants to apply next year to the same school that he interviewed with this year. Does the PA/MD schools share the same dept, professors, students? Any thoughts?
I am guessing they would not find out, however, if the PA program did, I am also guessing ur app would be in jeopardy. I do not see the school of medicine even thinking to look at something like this. just my thought tho

As long as he doesn't matriculate into a PA school, he's fine for applying to the MD program next year. But if he starts PA school, he'll be expected to complete his obligation to that program of study.

It would be polite for your cousin to withdraw his PA application, if he's sure he's competitive enough to get an MD school acceptance. The requirements are a bit different.

I can't see this being a problem for your MD application. They might think 'well, he's not just doing it to for the title/respect he actually wants to be involved in healthcare no matter what the way'. Definitely better than applying for dentistry/medicine at the same school.

As for PA they could think you're just applying as 'backup' which might hurt you.

Interesting observation.

I can't see this being a problem for your MD application. They might think 'well, he's not just doing it to for the title/respect he actually wants to be involved in healthcare no matter what the way'. Definitely better than applying for dentistry/medicine at the same school.

As for PA they could think you're just applying as 'backup' which might hurt you.

The problem is that my cousin applied to PA school this year, interviewed, then realized that he wanted to pursue MD instead. His goal is to get involve with doctors w/o borders and being a pa has its limitation. So he wants to apply next year to the same school that he interviewed with this year. Does the PA/MD schools share the same dept, professors, students? Any thoughts?

Yes, it is not uncommon for members of the faculty to be involved with both the PA and the MD program. If your cousins intentions are to withdraw his application to PA school and apply to the MD school next year, I don't think the MD school would necessarily have a problem with it but it is very likely that the issue could come up in an interview so he should probably have a good explanation ready.

If your cousins intentions are to start PA school then apply to MD next year, I wouldn't even consider applying to the same MD school as the PA school since someone is extremely likely to catch on to this and his application is likely to get tossed.

You made some great points. There's an old saying that goes something like this...a bird in your hand is worth more than two birds in the bush; so my advice to him was to just do PA if he gets in since there's no guarantee that he will get into MD school. Then if he still wants to do MD, he can probably do so afterwards. Nevertheless, good stuff MedMan25. I will let him know.

Yes, it is not uncommon for members of the faculty to be involved with both the PA and the MD program. If your cousins intentions are to withdraw his application to PA school and apply to the MD school next year, I don't think the MD school would necessarily have a problem with it but it is very likely that the issue could come up in an interview so he should probably have a good explanation ready.

If your cousins intentions are to start PA school then apply to MD next year, I wouldn't even consider applying to the same MD school as the PA school since someone is extremely likely to catch on to this and his application is likely to get tossed.

You made some great points. There's an old saying that goes something like this...a bird in your hand is worth more than two birds in the bush; so my advice to him was to just do PA if he gets in since there's no guarantee that he will get into MD school. Then if he still wants to do MD, he can probably do so afterwards. Nevertheless, good stuff MedMan25. I will let him know.

I think it all comes down to what he really wants to do with his life. If MD school is what he wants, I wouldn't settle for PA. If he is happy with PA, then he already has his ticket to ride, might as well climb aboard.

Last year, I called Baylor PA's program with a few questions. One of them was exactly this and they said that the two programs are completely separate and they wouldn't know. I would call yourself at all the schools you are interested in to make sure. PA schools do tend to have more requirements than Med schools. Baylor, for example, requires Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2, a couple of psych classes and expository writting.

http://www.bcm.edu/pap/?PMID=6194

Members don't see this ad :)
However, some PA schools will consider it an automatic rejection if they find out that you are applying to both. My school had 1700 people applying for 50 spots, and they didn't want to "waste time" with people who were unsure about what profession they wanted to go into, or were using PA as a backup.

ehhhh, I applied to both programs at a college and got into the PA program and had an interview for the DO program. I don't think it is a big deal.

Even if both programs are located in the same building, the admissions committees are quite different and quite separate. The OP does not lose out by applying to both as long as he/she doesn't do something like write: "I am applying to the PA program as a backup in case I don't get into medical school".

In the case of the my university (that has both schools), the folks who are applying for PA would be competitive for medical school too. PA is definitely not a back-up plan for medical school.

Did you applied to the same program in the same year? There is hope after all.
ehhhh, I applied to both programs at a college and got into the PA program and had an interview for the DO program. I don't think it is a big deal.

It is a great honor to have you post on my thread Dr. njbmd. I too agree that folks whom apply to PA schools are indeed competitive for medical school as well. I just don't see why applying to both programs is so frowned upon. There is nothing wrong with this strategy as it increase ones chances of getting accepted somewhere. Plus, whether PA or MD, it comes down to providing quality healthcare to the underserve communities.

Even if both programs are located in the same building, the admissions committees are quite different and quite separate. The OP does not lose out by applying to both as long as he/she doesn't do something like write: "I am applying to the PA program as a backup in case I don't get into medical school".

In the case of the my university (that has both schools), the folks who are applying for PA would be competitive for medical school too. PA is definitely not a back-up plan for medical school.

Is there anything wrong with this? Will either program find out that the student applied to both programs?

I was considering doing the exact same thing until my pre-med advsior practically had a heart attack. He said that if they ever found out you were using PA school as a back up they would never let you in, and it could ruin your chances for MD school as well.

Hey man, I'm pretty sure being a Doc(and not an assistant) is your #1 choice. Instead of applying to MD and PA, apply to MD, DO, and Carribean.

Can u elaborate on this? Thanks.

I am pretty sure they would see this as commitment issue and be actually pretty disastrous for your application. If they know.

It is almost like when interviewer ask "so what will you do if you dont get accepted?" And your answer is like "oh I will just do something else and forget medicine" They are going to be like oh so you dont want to be a doctor that badly.

I am pretty sure they would see this as commitment issue and be actually pretty disastrous for your application. If they know.

It is almost like when interviewer ask "so what will you do if you dont get accepted?" And your answer is like "oh I will just do something else and forget medicine" They are going to be like oh so you dont want to be a doctor that badly.

You're right. After going through a couple of PA interviews, I can say that I was definitely grilled about my motivations of being a PA instead of a doc, and even an NP. Two schools even explicitly asked in their secondaries if you had ever applied to med school.

My question is, why would people apply to both? (just curious). The fields are so different, and it would just seem like after working for ten years as a PA, you'd be bummed because you'd be doing the same stuff as your SP but getting paid half as much, and be kicking yourself for not going through with becoming an MD.