applying to categorical and prelim in the SAME specialty in the SAME program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scrubbed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i asked this in a specialty forum but would like to get a more general perspective,

i'm a so-so candidate and i'm pondering if it's wise applying to both categorical and prelim tracks for the SAME specialty at the SAME program(ie categorical surgery + prelim surgery, or categorical IM + prelim IM).

would applying for prelim along with categorical make their decision easier to just give a so-so candidate the prelim interview and "save" the categorical interview spots for others?

do programs interview people for both tracks, or is it one or the other?

Members don't see this ad.

one of the deans at my school said that he doesn't recommend applying to both prelim and categorical slots (his example was in medicine) at the same program. I think his reasoning was that you might not look committed to the categorical medicine program since maybe you're using the prelim spot as an intern year for derm, rad, anes, etc.

do others agree with the last post?

do you decrease your chance of getting a categorical interview if you apply also for prelim at the same program?

aPD?

I think it can work either way. Applying for prelim and cat can look like: 1) you are applying for rads/derm/etc and IM as a backup, or 2) you ar eapplying to cat IM but are afraid you are not strong enough to get an IV for the spot. Both of these can theoretically "hurt" you, but maybe not. It's best avoided if possible, especially #1.

If not (i.e. you are constrained by geographic issues), then you could apply for cat early and see what happens. if you get an IV, then you can ask at the IV to be considered for the prelim program also (if your reason is #2). If not, then you can apply for the prelim program.

I have a Question for aPD,

I have applied to Gen Surg Categorical and Prelim Gen Surg spots at the SAME PROGRAM. I got IV and i believe I did well at the interview. (i believe the program interview process is used for both prelim and cat)

Now my question is, I would like to rank only the Categorical spot but not the prelim spot (although I did apply to both). So what's going to happen? Is it possible to only rank the categorical spot and not the prelim at the same program? or if i rank the program then it is automatically ranked for both Categorical and prelim?

I would really appreciate your feedback on this aPD,

Now my question is, I would like to rank only the Categorical spot but not the prelim spot (although I did apply to both). So what's going to happen? Is it possible to only rank the categorical spot and not the prelim at the same program? or if i rank the program then it is automatically ranked for both Categorical and prelim?

Yes, you can do this. The Cat and Prelim programs will have different #s in NRMP. Just be sure you get it right.

where can i find the different numbers? I couldn't find it on FREIDA, and definitely not on ERAS. are you sure about this? a confirmation input from aPD would be greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

I got it thank you!!!! I just thought all the program codes would be the same however it is not. NRMP has its own code in thche directory after you login and register for the match