Applying to Clinical & Counseling PhD Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jnett8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two questions here for anyone who cares to chime in.

1. Has anyone ever looked into or applied for a counseling phd program and a clinical phd program at the same university?

From what I could gather from a few of the websites of the schools that i'm looking into, you can apply to two programs at the same time as long as they are not housed in the same department. Anyone have any input on this? Am I reading this wrong?

2. This leads into question 2. If I want to pursue a career as a licensed counseling psychologist, is it legit to pursue a PhD in Counseling Psych that is housed in the dept. of education?

I asked an advisor this and she said to seek counseling programs in the psych department only. Yet I find it hard to believe that the Army for instance, would not recognize me as a counseling psychologist (assuming I am licensed and all) because my phd program was housed in the education dept?

Any help is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Two questions here for anyone who cares to chime in.

1. Has anyone ever looked into or applied for a counseling phd program and a clinical phd program at the same university?

From what I could gather from a few of the websites of the schools that i'm looking into, you can apply to two programs at the same time as long as they are not housed in the same department. Anyone have any input on this? Am I reading this wrong?

2. This leads into question 2. If I want to pursue a career as a licensed counseling psychologist, is it legit to pursue a PhD in Counseling Psych that is housed in the dept. of education?

I asked an advisor this and she said to seek counseling programs in the psych department only. Yet I find it hard to believe that the Army for instance, would not recognize me as a counseling psychologist (assuming I am licensed and all) because my phd program was housed in the education dept?

Any help is much appreciated!

1.) Although it's possible, I would avoid it. It makes you look unfocused. Students accepted into programs usually have a few good reasons for selecting Counseling over Clinical, or vice versa.

2.) Some people believe that PhD Counseling programs housed in a psych department are more prestigious and offer a higher quality education than those housed in the department of education. I never bothered looking into the differences, I just applied to places where a professor was researching something I was interested in. That is the most important thing when choosing schools to apply to. The department the program is in should be secondary.
I believe your degree would be recognized everywhere, as long as you pass your exams for licensure.
If you are worried, I would ask your advisor why she told you that. I am 99% positive it has nothing to do with whether or not your degree would be recognized.