Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

applying to columbia

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by vm26, Oct 25, 2002.

1. vm26

vm26 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm just about finished with the application and the deadlines sunday, my mcats are low for them-32, gpa-3.9, non-trad with clinical experience as a PT, I'm on the fence about sending it in, can anyone give me their opinion on whether or not they think its worth shelling out the cash, considering the time frame and my mcats, thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. traveller4ever

7+ Year Member

i'd say u have pretty good mcat/marks.
    go for it!

4. woolie

woolie Intermountain West
    7+ Year Member

Excellent stats! what was the question again?

Absolutely apply! If you're just nervous then take a deep breath, say a little prayer and then press the "submit" button and let it go.

Or, you could go out to dinner with a couple of friends and always wonder, maybe I could've gone to Columbia .....

;)

5. S.c. Cdc28p

S.c. Cdc28p Member
    7+ Year Member

Definitely apply. You have excellent numbers. Good luck.

6. paean

paean Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Your GPA is excellent, and your MCAT, while below the Columbia mean, is well within their acceptable range. My only hesitation would be that Columbia has the reputation of being less interested in non-traditional applicants. This is only hearsay, but when I visited last year, I got the impression that most the students entering were 25 and under. There also seemed to be a larger proportion of Ivy-league students than I saw at any other school, supposedly the Dean really likes Harvard grads.

Columbia offers a lot of their applicants interviews, and if you get that far, and make a pursuasive arguement for why they are your top choice school (and if you are on the waiting list, or waiting to hear from them, continue to make that argument with well writen letters, or if you are going to be in the area for another interview, a request for a second interview with Dean Franz himself), they will consider you. However, if you are not sure that you could convince them that Columbia is your highest aspiration, or aren't sure yourself if it is a top choice for you, they are unlikely to offer you a spot.

As for being late, they will still read your application, and since a lot of students get in off the waiting list, they don't over enroll, so there will still be spots by the time you could get offered an interview.

If you can't already tell, I have mixed feeling about my experiences at Columbia. The students I met (and remember wherever you go, you meet few, quite possibly non-representative students from which you from opinions) seemed to drink a lot, and tended to study hard for tests, them slack off for a week or more before resuming studying. I'm not much of a drinker, and prefer a more consistant approach to school, so I didn't feel like I would be as comfortable there as some other schools. I went to one lecture (very dry, a lot of people seemed to be falling asleep) and one small group (very interesting material and great facilitator, but the students weren't interesting in participating), and wasn't impressed by either. And then I got the scoop from current students that the only way to get in is to convince the dean that you are just what they are looking for, and that if you are accepted, you absolutely will attend. I'm sure there are students who didn't do either, but everyone I met said that was how they, and most the rest of the class, got accepted. That kind of bugged me. I thought, why doesn't the school decide what they want in terms of students, and recruit them, rather than asking applicants to kiss up.

But if your question is: do I have a chance if I apply, I would boil it down to Yes, provided you are under 30.

Now, I'm sure some Columbia student is going to jump all over me for implying that they discriminate against more grown-up applicants, but I can only rely on what I saw.

Good luck.

7. vm26

vm26 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, best of luck as well.