Applying to D.O + M.D Schools: Strike against you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amakhosidlo

Accepted
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished a secondary that asked you to list all allopathic schools you've previously applied to, or are applying to. It's sort of left me wondering how D.O schools view candidates who apply M.D as well. I mean, the only purpose I can see for that type of question is for them to gauge your commitment to D.O schools, or maybe to tell whether you're using them as a backup or something.

Anybody know if/how much schools care if you're applying MD as well? Does it vary from school to school?

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt it. I know I've applied to way more MD schools than DO schools and yet I've received interview invitations from half the DO schools to which I've applied. And I'm guessing you're referring to NSU's secondary -- I didn't hold anything back and have an invite with them.

They don't care. Tell them you're committed to becoming a great physician, and if that means applying to a million med schools to do it, so be it. But then, tell them why you really like *their* program, so they know they're not just another notch on your interview "bedpost." :D

Sounds like NSU's or UNE's secondary. UNE I never got an interview from. NSU I interviewed, waitlisted, and then given the oppertunity to pay $2000 and have a spot for next year guarenteed (I already had such a position at Western, so I turned them down).

Repeat after me: Medical school, MD or DO, is extremely hard to get into and I want to maximize my chances by applying broadly and to numerous schools."