applying to dental and pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lagirl213

reach for the sky~
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
First off I wanted to say how much of a valuable asset this forum has been to me. Ive learned a lot of information on it. I just had a question. Im going to be applying for dental school next year in may-ish since that's when admissions open, but would the dental schools i applied to have a way of knowing that I also put in my admission to pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

yes....and coming from someone who has worked in a pharmacy I have to say the two professions couldn't be more different.....sry, just the first thing that comes to mind when I see a thread like this here

yeah, theres a place on the application that asks if you are applying to any schools other than dental schools (med, vet, pharmacy)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can always not list it but then it doesn't look very good if they find out. You do have to list it and some say that it doesn't make you look very serious about dentistry.

You can always not list it but then it doesn't look very good if they find out. You do have to list it and some say that it doesn't make you look very serious about dentistry.

When you fill out the application and sign it, you say you are filling this out truthfully and accurately. So, if you don't put the pharmacy appl. on the dental application, and the school finds out the day before you walk to get your diploma, they can kick you out for breach of contract and there is nothing you can do about it. Now, in reality that probably wouldn't happen, but would you want to take that chance? If you can get in to dental school without telling them you applied to Pharm school, you can probably get in doing it truthfully.

Hi,
First off I wanted to say how much of a valuable asset this forum has been to me. Ive learned a lot of information on it. I just had a question. Im going to be applying for dental school next year in may-ish since that's when admissions open, but would the dental schools i applied to have a way of knowing that I also put in my admission to pharmacy school?

It sounds like at the present time you are not 100% sure of your future direction. I'm not sure when you apply to a school if you are obligated to inform them of other schools/programs you have applied to, be it dental, medical or pharmacy. If you are obligated, then do so as required, but if not, I would not reflect it on your application. There are many students who apply to professional schools and turn down acceptances because they were on the fence. It's not uncommon. I doubt they wrote anywhere on their application about their ambivalence to the profession in question. You are young and it's normal to have doubts. Options are good and wise, especially as both dental and pharmacy school are big obligations in years and dollars. Maybe you could contact the admissions office of a dental school, preferably one you are not going to be applying to, and discuss your situation with them to get some correct and unbiased feedback. If you are required to list both schools on your application, I would do so, and keep your options open regardless. Good Luck with your decision and applications.

pretty sure aadsas also asked what other exams you've taken besides the DAT so you would have to check off PCAT as well

pretty sure aadsas also asked what other exams you've taken besides the DAT so you would have to check off PCAT as well

PCAT is pretty easy... the DAT is pretty hard... :)

Pharm and Dent are very different. Coming from a pre-pharm heavy university, I ultimately gave up my pharm spot to pursue dent instead. It's best to take some time to think about pursuing one, rather than both, since a profession can be a lifelong commitment, especially with the resources (time + money) that it takes to pursue a career path.

Personally, I could never do pharmacy (only went into it since I wanted a doctorate in something, and fastest path); I would never go into a profession w/o shadowing. Pharmacy, although I have some respect for what they do and what they go through, I just could not handle the absolute boredom and other reasons which I can specify at a later time.

Personally, I could never do pharmacy (only went into it since I wanted a doctorate in something, and fastest path)

Why do you want a doctorate?
The fastest way to earn a doctorate is by going to law school, 3 years to earn your J.D.
By far the easiest is earning your PhD. you do a lot but depending on the field it is low key more or less.

Hi,

Nothing like starting out the application process by withholding relevant information. Is that like trying to date two guys at the same but you don't want either one to find out about the other?