Applying to Dental School Early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rkendal2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions. I am currently finishing my sophomore year. I will have 84.5 credits and will be taking a 4 credit course over the summer which will get me to 88.5. I am taking 15 credits in the fall to finish up my prerequisites. I have a 3.89 gpa, but I have yet to take the DAT. So here are my questions: Would it be wise to go ahead and apply for dental school to get in early? What are my chances of being accepted? What are the best schools to apply to that accept students without degrees? And lastly, what is the best way to study for the DAT?

Thank you all for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there is any school that favors a non-degree earning applicant more than one that has a degree. Your GPA is good, and if you match it with a 21/22+ DAT then you will be very competitive. As far as studying for the DAT, there should be several stickies on the DAT discussion page that would be helpful. Also, I believe Glimmer is trying to accumulate the DAT breakdowns that are most helpful. Use those to plan out your studying and buy the materials that are recommended in the breakdowns and you will be on the right track.

Edit: just remembered. Seahawk did something similar to applying early, so if you send a pm they could probably give you some good advice as well.

Last edited:
You rang? Here is my opinion:

First off, it will depend on how great your application is. If you don't have a ~3.9+, a 20AA+, and a couple other special things on your application, don't do it. Everyone I know who has successfully done this has basically had an application that walks on water.

Second, you need to talk to the admissions director(s) at your first choice school(s) and ask them how they view early applicants or if they even take them. They told me at mine that it doesn't happen often but they wouldn't look at my application any different, in other words, they don't stamp it in big red ink with "EARLY APPLICANT." If they don't tell you something along those lines and tell you something like, they seriously look down upon applications of people applying early/you will be on a lower tier....Then don't try it, it's a waste of time.

Third, how much do you like undergrad? I am such the gunner-ish type that dental school acceptance was put before everything else but breathing. My parents don't pay for me to study abroad or take fancy cruises to the Bahamas or take wine tasting classes. I don't like partying...My social life was also bad because of being such a gunner (I'm in the process of reviving it now). I had/have nothing left to do with undergrad. If you are having the time of your life, are not in any rush, or want to do something like that, don't do it.

Finally, the application cycle costs thousands of dollars, takes up a ton of time, and causes a lot of anxiety. When it came down to December 3rd last year...I had done everything and was waiting on a call...I had gone from thinking 'it may be a bit of a stretch, but it can't hurt to apply early' to 'I will be apocalyptically pissed if I don't get in.' This is because it took so much effort and I am not a resilient person. You need to be a resilient person who won't be terribly bothered by it. Because regardless, you are going to be looked at in some capacity as a little lower. It will be age if nothing else. So you may have a God-mode app and it will still get rejected. So if you don't think you would roll with a rejection good, don't try it.

I got accepted. I escaped another year of useless college classes, I saved a ton of money, and I will finish dental rather early.

You other questions:

If you don't have a top choice school and don't care where you go. Contact all the admissions people (not a front desk goon) of schools that take early applicants (check websites) and ask them.

Read the DAT section breakdowns. I personally liked qvault, cliffs AP bio, and chads videos the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked into the mirror and said Seahawk 3 times so that is probably what did it.

By the way, a few of my friends got into UNC and they are pretty social, so I think you won't have a choice: you will be forced to have a social life now :)

I had a school put my app on hold because they miscalculated my credits to be below 90. Most schools require that you have completed 90 minimum before you apply so you may run into some trouble depending on which schools you are applying to.

I have a few questions. I am currently finishing my sophomore year. I will have 84.5 credits and will be taking a 4 credit course over the summer which will get me to 88.5. I am taking 15 credits in the fall to finish up my prerequisites. I have a 3.89 gpa, but I have yet to take the DAT. So here are my questions: Would it be wise to go ahead and apply for dental school to get in early? What are my chances of being accepted? What are the best schools to apply to that accept students without degrees? And lastly, what is the best way to study for the DAT?

Thank you all for your help!

I d say finish your degree requirements first. When i went for interviews i was surprised since soooo many applicants were invited for interview who had master s degrees! So knowing that schools are kind of favoring graduate degrees now, because DS is getting more competitive every year i d say dont waste your time. Apply 1 year before your graduation! Best of luck

I d say finish your degree requirements first. When i went for interviews i was surprised since soooo many applicants were invited for interview who had master s degrees! So knowing that schools are kind of favoring graduate degrees now, because DS is getting more competitive every year i d say dont waste your time. Apply 1 year before your graduation! Best of luck

From what I've seen, though, the master's degrees aren't really because those students were going "above and beyond"--they completed them because they had less-than-stellar grades in undergrad. Maybe that's just SDN, though.