1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Applying to dental school

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by stayinschool, Feb 11, 2019.

1. stayinschool

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi all, I recently made the switch from pharmacy to dentistry. I did not make the switch over night, I had this gut feeling pharmacy wasn’t for me. I had a lot of doubts with pharmacy but when dentistry was brought to me i was very intrigued. So I have shadowed dentists and I truly believe this is the right path for me. But, I applied to pharmacy school before i knew i wanted dentistry and i got accepted to their program. I only applied to that one school and i rejected the offer. I know on the dental application it asks if you have applied to other graduate programs before. Would i have to tell them i did? Of course it’s all about the academic integrity but if i state that i applied to a different graduate program that would spark hundreds of questions for the admissions committee. I really want to avoid those questions. Would dental school find out if i applied to another graduate program? Thank you!

2. Californian Patriot

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I would tell them the truth. It shouldn't be that difficult or time-consuming to explain why you made the switch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    macsak likes this.
  3. pinwheeels

pinwheeels MWU-AZ c/o 2023

Pre-Dental
    Agreed. It might even demonstrate more passion and commitment toward dentistry, so I view it as evidence that you would rather be a dentist than anything else. Just stay completely open about it because there's nothing wrong with realizing it was the wrong path and correcting course to the right one. Show them that you are not ashamed of your decision if you know this is the right one and they'll be sure to support you on it too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    macsak likes this.
  4. princeafrica

Pre-Dental
    I know a students that got into other health professions school and rejected offers and then applied to dental school. They had to put down on their app that they did but explained it and there was no problem

stayinschool likes this.
  5. pinwheeels

pinwheeels MWU-AZ c/o 2023

Pre-Dental
    Weren’t you originally planning on applying to Pharmacy School yourself? Did you ever reach the point of applying too before you changed to dentistry?

6. princeafrica

Pre-Dental
    Yes I want pre-pharmacy. I got as far as getting a guaranteed seat from a pipeline program but never ultimately applied.

I’m thankful everything worked out this way. I didn’t truly understand pharmacy until I started working as a tech lol. Dental school will also cost me less than what pharmacy would of