This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted902964

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would tell them the truth. It shouldn't be that difficult or time-consuming to explain why you made the switch.

Reactions: 1 user
I would tell them the truth. It shouldn't be that difficult or time-consuming to explain why you made the switch.
Agreed. It might even demonstrate more passion and commitment toward dentistry, so I view it as evidence that you would rather be a dentist than anything else. Just stay completely open about it because there's nothing wrong with realizing it was the wrong path and correcting course to the right one. Show them that you are not ashamed of your decision if you know this is the right one and they'll be sure to support you on it too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a students that got into other health professions school and rejected offers and then applied to dental school. They had to put down on their app that they did but explained it and there was no problem

I know a students that got into other health professions school and rejected offers and then applied to dental school. They had to put down on their app that they did but explained it and there was no problem

Weren’t you originally planning on applying to Pharmacy School yourself? Did you ever reach the point of applying too before you changed to dentistry?

Weren’t you originally planning on applying to Pharmacy School yourself? Did you ever reach the point of applying too before you changed to dentistry?

Yes I want pre-pharmacy. I got as far as getting a guaranteed seat from a pipeline program but never ultimately applied.

I’m thankful everything worked out this way. I didn’t truly understand pharmacy until I started working as a tech lol. Dental school will also cost me less than what pharmacy would of

I recently switched from optometry to dentistry as well. Does anyone think it's a good idea to write about this in my personal statement? Pretty much explaining how I left optometry after shadowing dentists? This is a pretty large part of my statement right now and wanted to know if it would be appropriate.

I recently switched from optometry to dentistry as well. Does anyone think it's a good idea to write about this in my personal statement? Pretty much explaining how I left optometry after shadowing dentists? This is a pretty large part of my statement right now and wanted to know if it would be appropriate.
I had something similar in my personal statement. Except I, like @princeafrica was pre-pharm. After working in a pharmacy, decided it wasn’t for me. I discussed it briefly in my personal statement and of course listed the paid experience in my jobs section. No one ever asked me about it lol

Reactions: 2 users