Applying to dental schools as a green card holder in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doge2022

Reaction score
Hello. I am just about to wrap up my 3rd year in a dental school in my home country. My parents have recently learned that they won the DV lottery. Sadly enough, I am way past my age limit in order to be eligible as a derivative. I'm planning to stay in my home country while my parents will try their best to settle in the US. We are planning to reunite via the F2B visa. Although I do realise that the standard processing time is circa 6 to 7 years. So that means that by the time I receive my green card, I will have already finished my dental degree in my home country and obtained some experience in the industry. I would then move to the US as a permanent resident and apply to the dental schools there. I have a strong desire to become a dental practitioner in the US but I want to take the longer route, i.e, going through the whole DDS program instead of an Advanced standing option. I do realise that it is somewhat strange to be applying to the DDS program as a fully licensed international dentist. But Advanced standing seems so damn difficult with its ridiculously limited admission quotas. I guess my question is what are the most salient benefits of having a green card for the purposes of admission into the dental schools in the US? How does it affect the tuition fees? I've heard that it would only make a difference if I were to become a permanent resident of a specific state. And this could happen only after satisfying the physical presence and intent requirements. Hence, I'm risking to completely waste more than a year of my life. How would this gap impact my application, given that I would be applying as a permanent resident? Could I just use this time in order to get some shadowing experience or work as a dental assistant so as to then include that into my application and strengthen my case? Would appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are very wrong in your assumption that getting acceptance to a 4 year DDS/DMD would be easier then to IDP.
On another hand I truly don't understand why one would want to pay twice as much and study for double time instead of just doing an easier route
In order to be accepted for a 4 year program you must meet all requirements for courses and such. DAT is not easier then NDBE

You are very wrong in your assumption that getting acceptance to a 4 year DDS/DMD would be easier then to IDP.
On another hand I truly don't understand why one would want to pay twice as much and study for double time instead of just doing an easier route
In order to be accepted for a 4 year program you must meet all requirements for courses and such. DAT is not easier then NDBE
Idk, this does not hold water when I consider all the things that I've learned or been told heretofore. Just compare the two programs in terms of their projected capacities. Most of the schools usually earmark like 20 places each year for their Advanced standing programs. And given the brutal demand among international dentists from dozens of countries, it just does not seem like a viable option to me. With regards to the issue with superfluous time and money expenditures, I've already come to terms with it. I just can't see myself capable of acclimating to all the local standards and practical patterns after being placed to the penultimate year of the program within a couple of years from graduation.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Keeping in mind your information is anecdotal, and so is mine........

While applying to full 4-year DDS programs may seem like it gives you a higher chance of entry due to the higher number of seats, the amount of applicants is much higher. I don't have numbers of the top of my head, but I believe these programs are more competitive than international programs. Then again, there are way more schools to apply to, which will also massively increase the application fees if you make use of those schools. At least in the South, most schools seem to massively prefer in-state applicants.

Also take into account your GPA may or may not be competitive by the time it gets converted by ECE. It's nearly impossible to apply to 4-year programs with a poor GPA, and you'd have to do extra post-bacc courses to improve this aspect of your profile. In contrast, it is very doable to get into international programs with a poor GPA (within reason, of course). Just to be clear, by poor GPA I mean anywhere from 2.5 - 3.3ish.

If you are Indian, they make up the most amount of seats of International Dental. Then again, they have the most applicants so, potentially, you compete amongst each other. If you are from an uncommon country, that may work in your favor.

I know you have come to terms with it, and you may know whats better for you - but the tuition and opportunity cost of going to a 4-year vs 2-year DDS is massive. 99% of international dentists probably adjust to the local standards in 2-3 years.

Finally, I'm not sure why you're limiting yourself to applying when you have a green card. Most schools do not require it, and most schools do not prefer it (at least publicly). Most international program students do not have a green card. Green card does not affect 4-year program fees unless you are a in-state resident. You don't want to waste years of your life, but it sounds like you are by waiting to apply until you get your green card.

Keeping in mind your information is anecdotal, and so is mine........

While applying to full 4-year DDS programs may seem like it gives you a higher chance of entry due to the higher number of seats, the amount of applicants is much higher. I don't have numbers of the top of my head, but I believe these programs are more competitive than international programs. Then again, there are way more schools to apply to, which will also massively increase the application fees if you make use of those schools. At least in the South, most schools seem to massively prefer in-state applicants.

Also take into account your GPA may or may not be competitive by the time it gets converted by ECE. It's nearly impossible to apply to 4-year programs with a poor GPA, and you'd have to do extra post-bacc courses to improve this aspect of your profile. In contrast, it is very doable to get into international programs with a poor GPA (within reason, of course). Just to be clear, by poor GPA I mean anywhere from 2.5 - 3.3ish.

If you are Indian, they make up the most amount of seats of International Dental. Then again, they have the most applicants so, potentially, you compete amongst each other. If you are from an uncommon country, that may work in your favor.

I know you have come to terms with it, and you may know whats better for you - but the tuition and opportunity cost of going to a 4-year vs 2-year DDS is massive. 99% of international dentists probably adjust to the local standards in 2-3 years.

Finally, I'm not sure why you're limiting yourself to applying when you have a green card. Most schools do not require it, and most schools do not prefer it (at least publicly). Most international program students do not have a green card. Green card does not affect 4-year program fees unless you are a in-state resident. You don't want to waste years of your life, but it sounds like you are by waiting to apply until you get your green card.
Appreciate your long reply. The only thing that sort of precludes me from applying to Advanced standing programs with no permanent residency status is based on my concerns about postgrad employment. It could be just a hearsay, but I've heard from a couple of folks who took this very route that it is pretty much impossible to find an employer who is willing to take a fresh graduate with no permanent status. Not only that, you'll then have to convince him that your skillset is good enough to justify his visa sponsorship. Given there is still a chance of me not receiving my green card, this just seems like a risky bet. And I wouldn't necessarily be wasting my life while waiting for my green card. I would use this time in order to complete my current studies and gain some hands-on experience in my home country. Not trying to argue or anything. I do believe that your knowledge on the topic exceeds mine by a quite a bit. I just don't want to find myself as an unemployed graduate with no legal status getting repatriated back to his home country. That's why I'm willing to take the longer route.

Idk, this does not hold water when I consider all the things that I've learned or been told heretofore. Just compare the two programs in terms of their projected capacities. Most of the schools usually earmark like 20 places each year for their Advanced standing programs. And given the brutal demand among international dentists from dozens of countries, it just does not seem like a viable option to me. With regards to the issue with superfluous time and money expenditures, I've already come to terms with it. I just can't see myself capable of acclimating to all the local standards and practical patterns after being placed to the penultimate year of the program within a couple of years from graduation.
I can't compete with heretofore and penultimate. 😭

Reactions: 1 user
Appreciate your long reply. The only thing that sort of precludes me from applying to Advanced standing programs with no permanent residency status is based on my concerns about postgrad employment. It could be just a hearsay, but I've heard from a couple of folks who took this very route that it is pretty much impossible to find an employer who is willing to take a fresh graduate with no permanent status. Not only that, you'll then have to convince him that your skillset is good enough to justify his visa sponsorship. Given there is still a chance of me not receiving my green card, this just seems like a risky bet. And I wouldn't necessarily be wasting my life while waiting for my green card. I would use this time in order to complete my current studies and gain some hands-on experience in my home country. Not trying to argue or anything. I do believe that your knowledge on the topic exceeds mine by a quite a bit. I just don't want to find myself as an unemployed graduate with no legal status getting repatriated back to his home country. That's why I'm willing to take the longer route.
Ahh fair, I understand. I can't imagine graduates going unemployed, but I guess it's a possibility. It may merit more research, or even asking schools for advice.
I have heard of graduates having to take "worse" jobs because of visa issues, but never no jobs. In fact, I know of a fresh graduate dentist who is moving job, from a clinic where they've worked for 6 months, to a community practice (presumably a FQHC and a dental shortage area) due to visa issues. Unfortunately, I'm not sure on the details.