applying to DO programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vm26

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone
I was curious, are most of you guys applying to DO programs to ensure acceptance to a US med school or is it because osteopathic medicine is more appealing?

Members don't see this ad.

dpw68,

your state osteopathic school is the least expensive of them all. I wish I was a Texas state resident for that reason. Here on Long Island, the cost of living is crazy, and the school is almost 30K to boot.

Sorry for not answering the posters question. I just felt like writing something.

Originally posted by DOnut
dpw68,

your state osteopathic school is the least expensive of them all. I wish I was a Texas state resident for that reason. Here on Long Island, the cost of living is crazy, and the school is almost 30K to boot.

Sorry for not answering the posters question. I just felt like writing something.

Hello,

Yeah, your right. TX is reasonable......Ft. Worth is not the best I've heard......they're ranked well for primary care

Members don't see this ad :)
I live on long island as well. i was thinking about applying to NYCOM but the tuition is pretty ridiculous. Also, I dont think I would enjoy learning manual spinal manipulations, I'm a PT and I find spinal joint mobs to be too subjective. In school we were taught to palpate the opening and closing of facet joints which was sorta silly. Just my opinion. anyway, how much of the curriculum is devoted to manual therapy?

You will be taught OMM at every DO school but whether you decide to use it once you are in residency and practice is always a choice that you have to make for yourself. I am going to an osteopathic school because I prefer the state of mind of osteopathic medicine. It is more open and not so judgemental as allopathy. Hear is a reason why: when I was pregnant with my daughter, I awoke one day suffering from the most horrible head pain I could ever imagine. It literally felt like someone was swinging a baseball bat against my head every 20 minutes. I was only 12 weeks pregnant and could not take any of the medication prescribed for a migraine. Neither could I take any pain pills. Cranial therapy and pressure point message was the only thing that got me thru 1 1/2 weeks of torture and pain. The MD obstetrician I was seeing wanted to give me Vicodin! No thanks!

It is just nice to be able to give patients options because I was given additional training to be a DO.

Originally posted by maysqrd
You will be taught OMM at every DO school but whether you decide to use it once you are in residency and practice is always a choice that you have to make for yourself. I am going to an osteopathic school because I prefer the state of mind of osteopathic medicine. It is more open and not so judgemental as allopathy. Hear is a reason why: when I was pregnant with my daughter, I awoke one day suffering from the most horrible head pain I could ever imagine. It literally felt like someone was swinging a baseball bat against my head every 20 minutes. I was only 12 weeks pregnant and could not take any of the medication prescribed for a migraine. Neither could I take any pain pills. Cranial therapy and pressure point message was the only thing that got me thru 1 1/2 weeks of torture and pain. The MD obstetrician I was seeing wanted to give me Vicodin! No thanks!

It is just nice to be able to give patients options because I was given additional training to be a DO.

great story~ hope your delivery went smoothly...
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I haven't had a headache since starting PCOM.

Originally posted by JPHazelton
I haven't had a headache since starting PCOM.

I've had one big headache since I started. The only cure is Christmas break.

:laugh:

1300 posts....who's the man?

Hey JP,

Let's Pong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Chisel,

I think you are a pong-a-holic.

The first step is admitting you have a problem...

Originally posted by JPHazelton
:laugh:

1300 posts....who's the man?

You PCOMer's have time to post while attending med school? :rolleyes:

Most of my posts were accumulated prior to starting school.

Plus, the week after an exam my brain doesn't quite function well enough to concentrate of much else.

I don't usually post the week before a test.

But then again, when you have the crazy smarts like I do, anything is possible.

Peace

PS

I watch TV too!

ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh :eek: :eek: :eek:

I had intentions of writing a long, thought-out reply to JP.

But instead...............LET"S PONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: