applying to DO schools this cycle and taking end of August MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rta5

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm applying to DO schools and only my instate MD schools this cycle. I have already submitted my primary applications and am waiting for verficatin as one transcript has not come in. I'm also sending my LORs this week. Will taking the MCAT August 31st be too late since I already submitted the primary? If anyone can help it'd be appreciated. I don't want to take the test until Im scoring in a good range and a July MCAT seems like rushing it for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Not rushing an MCAT is the best thing you can do now. Your exam will be scored and sent to the schools you applied to around the end of September. This is not too late for DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
will my app still be verified without the mcat? I can still be sent secondaries without the mcat in until septermber right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. I'm applying to DO schools and only my instate MD schools this cycle. I have already submitted my primary applications and am waiting for verficatin as one transcript has not come in. I'm also sending my LORs this week. Will taking the MCAT August 31st be too late since I already submitted the primary? If anyone can help it'd be appreciated. I don't want to take the test until Im scoring in a good range and a July MCAT seems like rushing it for me.
It'll be late for the MD schools for sure, fine for DO.

For the MD, yes it might be a little late. For DO, submitting October all the way to early November is usually fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I concur with the above posters. It will probably be late for MD. You might snag some waitlists if your stats are great, but not sure about any acceptances. I was in a similar situation and had to exclusively apply DO, even with solid stats.

I would only apply DO, or take a gap year. Preferably gap year, if your stats are solid.

will my app still be verified without the mcat? I can still be sent secondaries without the mcat in until septermber right?
Also, yes your app will be verified without MCAT. You can update the schools once MCAT is released. Or, you can apply to a throwaway school, then once the MCAT is added, add all of the schools you wish to apply to.

Depending on your practice exam scores, you may want to wait a year to apply. Some people take a late MCAT thinking they will score okay and apply DO but end up getting a great score but too late for MD apps.

ok thanks! I'm going to see where my practice test scores range at and then see from there. I'm more focused on DO schools as I wish to go to an osteopathic school.