Applying to EVMS, RFU, Temple, Loyola, VCU, Wake Forest, Toledo, and USF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicinaeDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So according to what I've gathered from SDN, the best "linkage" SMPs are

EVMS
Loyola
Tulane (if waitlisted)
Temple
VCU (certificate)
Wake Forest
Toledo
and USF
(and possibly UCincinnati)

and the best "broad" SMPs are

Georgetown
BU
UCincinnati
(and possibly Tufts)

Is this correct? Are there any schools/programs that I'm missing? Is there anywhere that I can get concrete stats on how many people make it from a school's program to its own med school (or to other med schools)?

I am currently a senior and will be taking my MCATs in January. If I apply to these SMPs this spring and get into one of them, will I be eligible to start class at one of the SMPs this Fall?

Members don't see this ad.

Easy part first.
I am currently a senior and will be taking my MCATs in January. If I apply to these SMPs this spring and get into one of them, will I be eligible to start class at one of the SMPs this Fall?
Correct. I suggest that you want to get your applications finalized immediately when you get your MCAT score. So if you're getting your MCAT score on Feb 28, then on Feb 27 you have everything except your MCAT score ready to send: transcripts, letters, essays, etc. I recommend finishing an AMCAS app (don't actually apply to any schools, unless you want to) so that you have it in hand for your SMP app.

There's just one MCAT. You're taking the MCAT. Not "your MCATs".

As for your school list, keep in mind that your success after a program like Gtown or Tufts is going to be directly related to how bad (or not) your undergrad GPA is and how solid (or not) the rest of your app is. If you start your Gtown year with a 3.3, add a 35+ MCAT to it, and apply early and broadly (and you're not from CA), your immediate chances at other schools are just as good as if you did EVMS to get into EVMS. On the other hand, if you start Gtown with a 3.1 and let your 30 MCAT stand, and maybe your app isn't all that compelling, then Gtown isn't enough to get you in on a same-year-as-SMP app. In the latter case (3.1/30), if you were able to get into a program like EVMS or Tulane ACP, you're in med school the next year unless you stumble badly.

My point is that you need to have a *great* med school app, except for a weak undergrad GPA, in hand, when you start an SMP, if you want the SMP to finish the job for you. And exactly how weak your undergrad GPA is can matter a great deal regardless of your SMP performance. If you think you *can* get a better MCAT score, get that work done *before* you start an SMP unless you're planning on another year off.

My suggestion is to apply to every SMP that appeals to you, assuming you can afford the app fees (which aren't that bad). If reading through the BUMAMS thread makes you want to go to BUMAMS, apply to BUMAMS. Getting multiple SMP acceptances and having to prioritize them is a great problem to have. You don't have to finalize your prioritized list before you apply - just have schools that are above your bar or not.
Are there any schools/programs that I'm missing?
I don't see NYMC, Drexel, RFU or UMDNJ on your list - which I personally would agree with, which is highly subjective.

Wakeforest doesn't have an SMP - they have a postbac aimed at disadvantaged/URMs. If you can get in, great, but then you should be focusing on disadvantaged/URM postbacs, not SMPs.

I've not seen anything that would indicate Loyola has strong "linkage". Good program, though, imho.
Is there anywhere that I can get concrete stats on how many people make it from a school's program to its own med school (or to other med schools)?
Nope. The best you can do is corroborate a school's claims with the posts that alumni bring to SDN. There are no guarantees, ever, not even with Temple. For the sake of sanity, you have to assume that if you work your fanny off and you've been able to get multiple faculty who *know* you to recommend you for med school, then you're probably going to get in somewhere, worst-ish case that you'll need another app year after your SMP.

Best of luck to you.