Applying to extra residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pumix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Concerned that my list is too top heavy and thinking about adding some additional programs. Is this the best time to add more programs or should I wait? How does it appear to programs if they're added after the MSPE is released?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I do not see the benefit of waiting to add programs. Many programs offer interviews all at once (and only extend out more after scheduled interviews cancel), and they do this by reviewing all the applications they have received after some arbitrary deadline. October 2nd, for example, is the one used by University of Washington.

Therefore, if you want to apply to more programs, the time to do that would be NOW. The even better time to do it would have been last week. The best time would have been any time before 10/1. Considering how relatively inexpensive it is to apply (vs. medical school in the first place), you should not feel inhibited from applying broadly in the slightest.

If your application is seen and you are competitive for the program, the date shouldn't be a problem. I added 5 or 6 programs on 9/26 and got interview invitations from 2 of them so far.

Having said that, I was also concerned I had applied too top heavy, and by virtue of waiting a little while things seem to have picked up. I wish you the best of luck.

Waiting is all downside. If you're going to add programs, do it yesterday. They won't care when you added them. I did a 2nd wave of apps lo these many years ago, and the return I got was about what I got (competitiveness-wise) from the first batch.