Applying to FAMU anyone???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibminh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm applying to FAMU for pharmacy school this year...here's my stat please please someone let me know what chances do i have for FAMU :D

PCAT: 10% <----hahaha
GPA: 3.6
CVS pharmacy tech (certified)= 3years
3 letters from pharmacists (1 of the 3 is a verystrong letter), and 1 letter from Bio professor.
Race: Asian

Since my PCAT score is sh#T, FAMU is the only option i have in Florida :(
Anybody got into FAMU, what was your stat like?

Members don't see this ad.

Yea, i believe that famu still doesnt require the pcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what i read it seems you have a shot but how'd you get a ten???

Well it's not a joke, actually i got 16% on PCAT to be exact. It was my first time taking it and i barely have time to finish any section. I'm taking Bio I and ANP I right now. I'm done with Chem and math.

This is a joke, right?

Did you mean my PCAT score is a joke or my GPA is a joke:( ...i know my GPA is not that great but it is still consider ok for pharmacy school right??? or do i need a 4.0 :confused:

Did you mean my PCAT score is a joke or my GPA is a joke:( ...i know my GPA is not that great but it is still consider ok for pharmacy school right??? or do i need a 4.0 :confused:

I meant the PCAT score. Your GPA is fine.

But I guess you took it for the heck of it? What pre-reqs have you taken since you are only taking Bio I now.

If you scored a 16 with pre-reqs under your belt, my concern would be your ability for retention and comprehension, regardless of your GPA.

Wow did you even study for the PCAT?

No i did not study for the PCAT, I looked through some practice test before the PCAT though...I'm done with all chemistry (chemI II Organic I II) and done with calculus also...I need to take BIO I & II and ANP I and II and i'm done with pre-req. I'm taking Bio I and ANP I right now...

On PCAT i got
Bio:4
Verbal:9
Reading: 35
Quantitative: 23
Chemistry: 48

This is my very first time taking PCAT, did not study any prep book, did not spend time to study for it. I just wanted to see how it is...I will study for it this summer and reapply next year in case i don't get into FAMU. Any suggestions guys? any school doesn't require PCAT you guys know off let me know :D thank you

Your application is pretty good if if you don't have to report your PCAT lol. Wouldn't be surprised a bit if you got into FAMU.

Bio aside though, (because you had like a month of college level Biology under you when you took the PCAT?) your scores in the rest of the sections are scary. If you have to take it again you definitely aren't as done with Chemistry and Calculus as you think you are.

What school do you go to? If you don't mind me asking.

What school do you go to? If you don't mind me asking.

A community college in Florida :oops: ...i know i know that kills my chance but whatever im gonna take my shot. Better to take a shot and miss than not taking at all:D

Yes, I am. I didn't do too well with my PCAT's either (40%). However, I will be taking it again in Janurary. I did not study at all, i THink the only thing I did well on the PCAT were all threes in the essays. I will be applying to FAMU only because it is only two hours away from where I live. But, even though the requirements for FAMU are not as hard compared to other schools, I've heard TOO many people apply and it is super hard to get in....especially if you are not African-American.....btw I am a minority- Asian. SO, just maybe?.......

I don't think being Asian is as minority as you all might think.

I am really confused about FAMU. I know someone with 3.2 GPA got in. And one of my close friend who just got in UF last year with 3.8GPA never heard anything back from FAMU, not even a reject letter so it's like playing lotto :D
BTW Did you already send your application to FAMU?

Yes, I am. I didn't do too well with my PCAT's either (40%). However, I will be taking it again in Janurary. I did not study at all, i THink the only thing I did well on the PCAT were all threes in the essays. I will be applying to FAMU only because it is only two hours away from where I live. But, even though the requirements for FAMU are not as hard compared to other schools, I've heard TOO many people apply and it is super hard to get in....especially if you are not African-American.....btw I am a minority- Asian. SO, just maybe?.......

I am really confused about FAMU. I know someone with 3.2 GPA got in. And one of my close friend who just got in UF last year with 3.8GPA never heard anything back from FAMU, not even a reject letter so it's like playing lotto :D
BTW Did you already send your application to FAMU?

Things I have heard about FAMU:

-Historical black college

-More prone to accept their own kind (Meaning you went to FAMU for undergrad)

-Doesn't require PCAT