Applying to fellowship with history of probation in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theNDhopeful44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thread deleted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't expect this would be a deal killer for you. You might want to talk with your PD to see how it might be mentioned in any letter they provide.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't expect this would be a deal killer for you. You might want to talk with your PD to see how it might be mentioned in any letter they provide.
Coincidentally, CT is what I'm applying into. Do you have ant idea how this will be perceived by programs I apply to?

Coincidentally, CT is what I'm applying into. Do you have ant idea how this will be perceived by programs I apply to?

You should discuss with your PD if this is an internal probation or a formal one that is reportable. If it is an internal one only and they state that it is not something that is necessary to disclose, then no problems. If they state it has to be disclosed, then a quick, to the point explanation without excuses would be necessary.

Given that this happened during PGY2 and you presumably don't have any issues since then, I wouldn't expect it to be a big deal. Now if it was between you and another candidate with similar qualifications, would it sway their rank list? Possibly. But maybe they like your personality better than the other guy. Hard to say how much impact it will have. I don't think it's a deal killer, though.

Are you sure it was a real probation on record and not just an internal thing? Seems like overkill for just one unverifiable incident.
Yes, I confirmed with my program director that it will be listed on my "program director letter" for when I apply to fellowship.

Yes, I confirmed with my program director that it will be listed on my "program director letter" for when I apply to fellowship.

Then I think there's more to the story....but who am I to meddle?

Then I think there's more to the story....but who am I to meddle?
I share this supicion. We once had a resident ignore what the overnight home call attending told her to do (add the patient on for surgery in the AM) and did what she wanted to do (do the procedure in the ER with sedation) and she only got put on double secret probation (not put in her file at all if she kept her nose clean after that). The attending was pissed enough he wanted her fired which I was very sympathetic to because even though everything went well you don't get to do the opposite of what your attending says to do.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user