Applying to fewer than 10 Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellomd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering after reading so many posts about the number of schools people apply to, with some saying they didnt need to apply to as many as they thought... is anyone applying to ten or fewwer schools?

I'm thinking, apart from the fact that I dont have a lot of $$, isnt there something to be said for applying to fewer schools that you REALLY wanna go to and putting your focus on those and their secondaries etc, than spreading yourself really thin with 20+ schools?

Of course there's also something to be said of this process in general being stressful and time consuming and "the luck of the draw" in general, that it makes sense to take the best shot you can possibly take from the get go.

I'm struggling with my decision to apply to 6 or 7 schools that I really want to go to and hoping for the best ( and also feeling like a more "sincere" candidate..for want of a better word) and then again being afraid that I end up with nothing after all this work!

Members don't see this ad.

mellomd said:
Hi guys, I was wondering after reading so many posts about the number of schools people apply to, with some saying they didnt need to apply to as many as they thought... is anyone applying to ten or fewwer schools?

I'm thinking, apart from the fact that I dont have a lot of $$, isnt there something to be said for applying to fewer schools that you REALLY wanna go to and putting your focus on those and their secondaries etc, than spreading yourself really thin with 20+ schools?

Of course there's also something to be said of this process in general being stressful and time consuming and "the luck of the draw" in general, that it makes sense to take the best shot you can possibly take from the get go.

I'm struggling with my decision to apply to 6 or 7 schools that I really want to go to and hoping for the best ( and also feeling like a more "sincere" candidate..for want of a better word) and then again being afraid that I end up with nothing after all this work!

Totally depends on what kind of a candidate you are. But an awful lot of people on here will attest that they didn't get into at least 6 or 7 of their 20+ schools that they would have thought they should have been solidly competitive at. (It's why so many posts talk about the "randomness" of the process). It's a very expensive and time consuming process -- best to apply to a realistic number (which could be anywhere between 10-30 depending on how good your application stats are) or risk being left out.

I think there is definitely something to be said for applying to less schools and putting more effort into the secondaries for each of those schools. But, I'd say 6 or 7 is pretty low....I'd shoot for 12 or so.....after a certain number, your chances don't go up that drastically (at least that's what my advisor told me). Definitely put a lot of thought into your secondaries. For instance, BU doesn't require a secondary, but they invite you to submit additional info (especially if there is a gap between college and your application)....I took advantage of this and wrote them a really nice letter, along with my resume....I could be wrong, but I really feel like this helped to set me apart....BU was the first school that I was accepted at. I don't know how people can apply to 25+ schools and do a good job, unless it is their full or part-time job. I only applied to 8 schools (decided to apply to less after I got my MCATs back), and I got one acceptance and one waitlist, and three interviews, but I feel very fortunate! There is definitely an element of luck inherent in the process! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well what are your state schools and what are your stats like? Looking back, I applied to way too many schools (18). I didn't really need multiple acceptances... I mean, I'm going to my state school anyways. Definitely have some back up schools. But if you're an awesome applicant, then maybe you'll be ok with just a few schools. Although, you may want to consider applying to at least 10.

I had a friend who applied to 2 schools... his state school and hopkins. He was a decent applicant, so he took the chance. Luckily he got into his state school.

You need to understand that for a class of 100-150 kids most schools get between 7000-10,000 applications. Even for the most qualified applicant, those are some tough odds. So, my advice would be to apply to at least 12 schools. At least.

blump said:
You need to understand that for a class of 100-150 kids most schools get between 7000-10,000 applications. Even for the most qualified applicant, those are some tough odds. So, my advice would be to apply to at least 12 schools. At least.

yes, agreed. anything under 10 is a huge risk even for the strongest of candidates. anywhere between 10-20 seems reasonable for most people. spend the extra money now or risk having to do it all again next year. Besides, you may not get secondaries from everywhere you apply to and without a secondary, the application isn't very expensive. I can assure you that there are plenty of "sincere" applicants on SDN and beyond that don't have success in this process.

Secondaries are all the same anyway, once you go through the first 5 the rest will all be cut and paste. Don't worry about "spreading yourself too thin."

I only applied to 7 schools. I got secondaries from all of them, only finished 4 of them, got 2 interviews, only did one of them, and got in. My stats weren't even spectacular.

Do what feels right for you.

I applied (late) to 6 schools, got 5 interviews, three rejections, and two waitlists. I sure wish someone had told me that 10-12 is usually a minimum number! Looks like now I'll be spending most of my time in the Re-Applicants forum... but I did just have an advice appointment at my top choice school (that interviewed me and rejected me like a hot potato) and the dean of admissions was very encouraging for next year. After her advice, I honestly think I will get into at least one of my 6 that I've already applied to, but I'm going to bring it up to at least 10 to be safe. I sympathize with the expense-I support myself on a research assistant's salary, and it sure isn't easy, especially come interview time. Plus, the dean told me that I'll probably get a lot of interviews again, so that's a ton of investing money in airfare, which, I've already learned, doesn't translate into acceptances!!!

I applied twice, the first time only applying to four schools out of an overestimation of my chances at my state schools and the idealistic hope that I would be able to attend school in the same city as my fiance. The second time I applied to 13-15 schools and received three acceptances. I can assure you that the difference in time spent on each secondary and the quality of these applications is negligible--eventually the material becomes redundant and you find a writing groove. Either way, your chances are increased greatly in my opinion, and the extra money spent is a good trade-in for the doubt and extra work that comes from becoming a reapplicant.

MWillie said:
Secondaries are all the same anyway, once you go through the first 5 the rest will all be cut and paste. Don't worry about "spreading yourself too thin."

You all have great points. I guess there will always be the sucess stories and the miserable ones. I'm am international student with decent stats (30, 3.6), by no means spectacular, from an Ivy Undergrand but with great ECs and LORs. Its going to be that much harder for me the get in ANYWHERE so my chances are about the same at any school I apply to...and I have no state school...hence my dilemma...concentrate on those that i really want to go to or cast a wide net and basically wipe out my bank account. I'm thinking 10 sounds like a safe number though.

Thanks for all the responses.

6 applications and 5 interviews is very impressive...you must be a great candidate....maybe one of those waitlists will come through still! Good luck!

t33sg1rl said:
I applied (late) to 6 schools, got 5 interviews, three rejections, and two waitlists. I sure wish someone had told me that 10-12 is usually a minimum number! Looks like now I'll be spending most of my time in the Re-Applicants forum... but I did just have an advice appointment at my top choice school (that interviewed me and rejected me like a hot potato) and the dean of admissions was very encouraging for next year. After her advice, I honestly think I will get into at least one of my 6 that I've already applied to, but I'm going to bring it up to at least 10 to be safe. I sympathize with the expense-I support myself on a research assistant's salary, and it sure isn't easy, especially come interview time. Plus, the dean told me that I'll probably get a lot of interviews again, so that's a ton of investing money in airfare, which, I've already learned, doesn't translate into acceptances!!!

kc123 said:
6 applications and 5 interviews is very impressive...you must be a great candidate....maybe one of those waitlists will come through still! Good luck!

It certainly is! I wish most people could be so lucky!

t33sg1rl said:
I applied (late) to 6 schools, got 5 interviews, three rejections, and two waitlists.

I agree. 5 interviews from a late application sound like good application. Have you sent LOIs and called (daily :) )? Maybe you can work your way in.

Have hope!

Kind of in the same boat. I only applied to six schools because I overestimated my chances. I got four interviews and now I am waitlisted at each one of them. The stress of being waitlisted and not knowing whether or not you will get in, and if so where, even though I will be moving there in about 1.5 months, is an evil that I would wish noone ever has to endure again.