Applying to IM (categorical) after Prelim in FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Man_Madison

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I am completing my preliminary year in family medicine. With my MPH background, I initially decided to go for Preventive Medicine residency. But now I became interested in Internal Medicine and I am not sure about the options or pathway for the same. Can I be eligible to apply for PGY-2 in IM after PGY-1 in FM or should I need to start from PGY-1 again? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi friends,

I am completing my preliminary year in family medicine. With my MPH background, I initially decided to go for Preventive Medicine residency. But now I became interested in Internal Medicine and I am not sure about the options or pathway for the same. Can I be eligible to apply for PGY-2 in IM after PGY-1 in FM or should I need to start from PGY-1 again? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It's unlikely that your FM rotations would meet the criteria of an IM year. You would need to look at pgy1 spots.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve never heard pgy1 for fm called “prelim”

Reactions: 2 users
Hi friends,

You would need to look at PGY-1 spots. Some of your rotations in FM will transfer, but some (obstetrics, pediatrics) will not.

Whether anything "transfers" is completely up to your IM PD. If your institution has an IM residency and you did rotations that were 100% equivalent to what an IM resident would do, then you might get credit. If your institution doesn't have an IM program, you'll get no credit at all.

I believe the rules are you'll get a maximum six months credit for a related field that isn't IM itself. And even that is at the discretion of your new PD.

I’ve never heard pgy1 for fm called “prelim”
While traditional prelim years are med/surg/ty, there's actually small numbers of prelims in most of the core specialties. FM prelim, ob/gyn prelim, peds prelim. They're just a 1 year spot with an undesignated PGY2+. Not sure what the purpose is of most of them, but they exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users