Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Applying to Ivy's, MCAT score to have.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rjhtamu, Jun 21, 2001.

1. rjhtamu

rjhtamu Stargazer Royale
    7+ Year Member

Before the MCAT, I didn't put much thought into applying out of state or even trying to apply for the Ivy's, but since I've gotten my scores back, I've been thinking why not try anyways. I was wondering what's a good baseline MCAT score that you should try or not try with. Like 35 for instance, below not even try, or would you have much luck with it? Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. coop

coop Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey, just beware that posting questions like this tends to get people yelled at, there is no magic number, it totally depends on gpa/activites/rest of your application, if your whole package looks good, then a 30-31 can get you into top schools, if you are just trying to ride your mcat, and the rest of your app is slacking, maybe even a 35+ doesn't make you competitive. good luck

4. drintraining

drintraining Member
    7+ Year Member

If you need someone else to answer that question maybe you should do medicine a favor and not apply PERIOD.

5. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    coop gave you excellent advice -- there is no set score to have. I would assume that if you have a 30+, and the rest of your application is in good shape, you should be competitive. That being said, I still know people who have been accepted at "top" med schools with MCATs in the 27-29 range. It just all depends.

By the way, I kind of couldn't help chuckling at the use of "Ivy's" :rolleyes: -- "top tier" med schools might be a better way to describe what you are looking for -- at least half of the med schools in the top ten are not members of the Ivy League (ie, Hopkins, Duke, Stanford, UCSF, Wash U)

6. rjhtamu

rjhtamu Stargazer Royale
    7+ Year Member

In response to a particular post, I have no intention of just riding an MCAT score to schools. I happen to have pretty good clinical and practical experience behind me as well. I just needed to know if it was worth all the extra effort of applying to many out of state schools.