Applying to Masters in SLP with Low GRE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

az_zulu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the GRE in December and also this past week. My scores are quite embarassing. In December I received the following scores: Q: 360, V: 310. Writing: 4. I studied for a month and retook it this past week and the results were even worse: Q: 290, V:410. I was getting a 510 on Q and a 410 on V when I completed practice tests so I'm not sure what happened. I started to get a bit nauseous during the last section this time around, which was the quantitative section, so I don't know if that had something to do with my horrific score.

I'm applying to Masters programs in SLP for this fall. One school doesn't require the GRE's which is great but it's not my top choice. I've always struggled with these types of standardized tests (i.e. couldn't break a 1000 on the SAT) and so I'm thinking I should definitely write an addendum on my applications. Those schools that require the GRE are looking for a score of a 1000 or more combined.

Some background academic history on me:
Bucknell University - GPA: 3.31, Degrees in Psychology and Spanish and followed the Pre-med track
Tufts University - GPA: 3.78, Masters in Child Development

I should also add that I took the GRE 5 years ago (so the scores have since expired). My scores were 550 Q, 410 V and 4 on Writing. I'm thinking I will attach a copy of these old scores to the addendum I write up. What do you think?

I'm currently working as a project manager in an Autism Research center, managing my own project. I also have previous work experience abroad working with kids on the spectrum. My boss is a renowned expert in the field and has offered to talk to a faculty member at my number one choice which I hope will help considering my current situation. I haven't told her my exact scores because they are just too embaressing.

Please send me any thoughts or comments you have. They will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like you are doing all you can to show that your GRE scores do not represent your best work.

I'm applying to SLP Master's programs now and I have several friends (from my undergrad SLP program) who applied last year and are currently enrolled in grad programs. As for those folks, I know three people who got below 1000 and were accepted to a good portion of the schools they applied to. One of them "bombed" (her words) the GREs and got into her top choice school (a private school in CA).

I think already having a Master's degree will really help your chances of getting in, in fact, I don't think you have much to worry about. This fact alone shows that your are more than capable of doing graduate level work. Don't forget that most SLP programs only receive about 200 applications for around 50 spots. There will be at least a few people applying fresh from undergrad having completed a major in something totally unrelated to SLP and with not nearly as much experience as you have! I'd say the odds are in your favor!

GOOD LUCK!