Applying to McGovern and Baylor in Houston with an MCAT, but retaking.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AceBR

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking my MCAT early June and I plan on scheduling for a retake in July just in case my first attempt doesn't turn out the way I want.

If my first MCAT score is good enough, I will want to apply for this cycle. If it's decent, I may want to apply still and indicate that I will retake sometime in July.

Does anyone know how McGovern and Baylor look at a current MCAT score with a future test date?

I see three different options and wonder what those schools tend to do:

1) They only consider the current score and not wait for the new score

2) They wouldn't even look at the score and might wait until I retake and get a new score.

3) They'll consider the current score, but will wait on the new score...

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Do not take the MCAT until you are confident that you will get a score consistent with success, even if it means delaying the application until the next cycle.
We use this test to gauge judgement as well as knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
A sub-par MCAT score is a black mark on your record, not a non-event. You can certainly interrupt the application process if your first attempt produces a bad score, but that score will never go away.

Every school you apply to will see that score, and if it's lousy, your application review is pretty much over, and into the "do not invite" pile you go. I honestly don't imagine a "plan to retake" note will save your application if your first score is bad. If your score is borderline and you indicate you are retaking -- or even if you say nothing of the sort -- your application goes into that vast "I dunno - what else do we have?" pile.

In short, I'm with @gyngyn. If your practice scores aren't good enough, don't take that test and plan on waiting another cycle.