applying to MD and DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denilson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm apllying to both MD and DO schools, but i wanna go to a DO school cuz of its extra training and options in residency in both ostepathic and allopathic hospitals...will DO schools hold it against me for applying to MD schools as well?...my gpa is 3.3 UG and 3.4 for Grad...i'm finishing my PhD in toxicology>>top choice, Western U COMP..Please let me know

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that they won't hold it against you....

What I can tell you is that Western COMP does make you list all the MD, DO, allied health fields you are applying for that year.... I heard they do check if you're telling them the truth.... So they'll know what places you're applying to.... They shouldn't hold it against you though. It may come up in an interview as to why you're doing that and you better have a good answer :D...Good luck.

I applied to both allo and osteo schools and was accepted at both kinds. I decided on AZCOM. As to applications, they will vary by the school's secondary apps as to whether you are asked how many and what other schools you have applied to. A few of the secondaries I filled out wanted this info, most did not. It's always possible that you will be asked about applying to both kinds of schools, but if you explain it as maximizing your admission possibilities most adcoms will understand this. Just be sure that when you interview at osteo schools that you have done some homework about the osteopathic philosophy and be prepared to answer questions about why you are applying for it. Also check out the interviewfeedback.com site for great info about interviews at all schools. Good luck and happy hunting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Only one of my DO schools asked and I told them that the MD school was my "backup plan" in case I couldn't get in to the DO school. They ate it up! I said this because of the predominant idea in my home area that DO is a backup if you can't get in to a REAL medical school. Consequently, I got in to both and chose DO (a different DO school, though). I wasn't really lying--the MD school was my backup! :D

Originally posted by John DO:
•Only one of my DO schools asked and I told them that the MD school was my "backup plan" in case I couldn't get in to the DO school. They ate it up! I said this because of the predominant idea in my home area that DO is a backup if you can't get in to a REAL medical school. Consequently, I got in to both and chose DO (a different DO school, though). I wasn't really lying--the MD school was my backup! :D

John DO, that was actually my response to LECOM when I interviewed there.... like yourself, I too had MD schools as back up.... Cool :cool:

John DO and Popoy,

I really liked that backup answer. I never would have thought of that. Good thinking. My dad didn't understand why I chose DO over MD. He had a hard time accepting it. How did your families react?

My family, such as it is, thought that I was nuts for choosing DO over MD.

Originally posted by apple638:
•John DO and Popoy,

I really liked that backup answer. I never would have thought of that. Good thinking. My dad didn't understand why I chose DO over MD. He had a hard time accepting it. How did your families react?•

I think a good doctor will be a good doctor despite initials. I see them both as the same- meaning that I can do the same thing no matter which I become.

Personally, I would rather be a DO than an MD, because my family doc is a DO, and the doctor I shadowed was a prestigious DO- who was so well-respected because he did his job so well, that no one cared what his initials were. I'm thankful for the exposure I got to the field, growing up. Anyone who doubts Osteopathic Medicine should make rounds with this doc. :D

I'd still see my doc if his initials were P.oS. because he's good. Greatness has no stigma.

All my family and neighbors are against my choice on becomming an Osteopathic Physician! Some of them are real old-school people, and believe that MD is the only way to go- otherwise it is not impressive.

I guess this is because my cousin is going for an MD/PhD at a prestigious school. So I really do not have 'bragging' rights around here, but I do not care. :D My parents ask me why I do not want to try for Yale Med, and I have to answer the question 24/7 :rolleyes:. My sister doesn't even believe an 'Osteopath' is a doctor, and my girlfriend thinks an Osteopathic Physician is a Chiropractor! At least I could answer that pesky interview question: "Were you pushed by your parents?" correctly. :)

i don't care what two letters come after my name...i just wanna practice clinical sciences as opposed to just reseach (it can get pretty boring writing those annoying grants to bring food on my table)...from what i heard from other MDs in rochester, DOs are just as qualified physicinas if not more..and i heard this from several MDs here that worked along side DOs as residents...i'm only applying to 5 DOs and 15 MDs cuz there are many more MD schools than DO, and location of the school is a BIG factor for me in choosing schools...let's all hope for the best, and i firmly believe that if were meant to practice medicine, we'll get in!!!!

As long as there are prejudiced people in this world, there will be prejudiced (not to mention jaundiced) views of osteopathic medicine. A good doctor is a good doctor, regardless of the initials that follow their name. I shadowed two D.O.'s and both were Chief Residents of their departments. They don't complain about the "D.O. stigma." They are equally respected on all levels. In fact, they outcompeted their M.D. peers (from top schools such as Einstein and Yale) for Chief Resident positions. Why? Hard work. Period.

Together

Together, that's great!
AMEN!!!!!

Together, that is one of the reasons why I want to be an Osteopathic Physician is to push myself to work harder and not live up to some fallacious stigma. I work a lot harder when I am an 'underdog'. It is a good challenge and the philosophy behind Osteopathic Medicine is something that any good doctor should employ in my opinion.

my understanding from many people on these posts, is that the "debate" over DO vs MD is mostly a pre-med issue. I shadowed and MD and NOT ONE TIME did he ever say anything negative about DO training or philosophy.

When I told him that I was accepted to DO school, his reaction was complete and total delight. I don't think he could have been happier for me.

When people ask what kind of doctor I'm going to be, I just tell them, "a good one." :)

Originally posted by electra:
•my understanding from many people on these posts, is that the "debate" over DO vs MD is mostly a pre-med issue. I shadowed and MD and NOT ONE TIME did he ever say anything negative about DO training or philosophy.

When I told him that I was accepted to DO school, his reaction was complete and total delight. I don't think he could have been happier for me.

When people ask what kind of doctor I'm going to be, I just tell them, "a good one." :)

You're right about the debate being a whole premed thing.... but there are still ignorant docs out there.... I guess we're just both lucky to have met good docs....

I agree with electra, it is TOTALLY a pre-med issue. Just like the usual question of: "what med school should I choose" is invariably a pre-med issue as well. Once you get to a certain point, I believe, a doctor is a doctor is a doctor, and that other people could care less where you graduated from(unless it's Harvard Med.). When someone comes out of college, all the pre-med years of competition may lend to further such a spirit, but in actuality- we're all going to the same place if we're all going to medical school.

Sometimes the MD/DO question or the Medical school question could become a question of prestige outside of the pre-med world- but those are usually the 'old-world', 'old-school' people. :rolleyes:

When you're applying to college, your high school record is scrutinized.

When you're applying to medical school, your college record is scrutinized.

When you're applying for residency, your medical school record is scrutinized.

When you're applying for a job as a physician, your residency record is scrutinized.

As any physician, your performance is constantly scrutinized at every level of the academic hierarchy that we so willingly climb with each successive step. Stigmas fade as others become aware of the physician's potential. The MD vs. DO argument is and will in all likelihood remain circular. Instead of allowing the false dichotomy to preoccupy premedical minds, we should instead focus on clarifying the desired qualities of a PHYSICIAN because THAT is the title we are all slapped with.

Together

P.S. Kill this thread unless you truly feel the need to beat the dead horse once again.

I think they are both the same...i have no preference...tuition costs, living expenses and location are vey important to me.

brazil med and other pre-meds

when i applied to med schools, i got accepted to both md and do schools. both schools have quite similar standards. my final decision was made based on what my heart told me rather than other people's perceptions. i want to be close to my family because they have been a great support in my life. people told me that i won't even have time to see my family when i'm in med school, which is true. But the fact of knowing that they're close to you, you can come home and see them under any circumstances will definitely take away my worry.
follow your heart and don't let the public perception take away what you truly value deep inside your heart. because if you practice with this wholehearted philosophy, your patients will be greatly benefited from you.