Applying to MD/PhD and PhD programs at the same time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrowningInWork

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How sketchy would this look if they noticed? Would it be a red flag/automatic rejection?

I ask this because I know my GPA is not competitive for MD/PhD, but I know I'll be able to get into an ok straight PhD program. I'd be planning to go back and do an MD after grad school if I am not able to get into a combined program.

Members don't see this ad.

How sketchy would this look if they noticed? Would it be a red flag/automatic rejection?

I ask this because I know my GPA is not competitive for MD/PhD, but I know I'll be able to get into an ok straight PhD program. I'd be planning to go back and do an MD after grad school if I am not able to get into a combined program.

1. No they won't know. They are 2 totally different application processes. But read #2 very carefully

2. The bolded is not the best idea in your position. Post in the physician-scientist area (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/physician-scientists.32/) for more detail but for short: you don't need a PhD to be a physician-scientist. The MD/PhD tract is long enough with the average graduation time creeping around 9 years, and doing two separate degrees in 2 different programs is most probably not going to help you graduate in any less than 9 years. Also, there is going to be at least a 4 year gap of pure medical school after you finish your PhD before you can do any more substantial research---think about it. There are so many more significant reasons you should not do this. Also seeing as how you are "Pre-health" I recommend doing some research on what MD/PhD programs actually are, what the purposes of them are, do some soul-searching as to what you really want to do (clinician, scientist, clinician-scientist?), etc.

I believe @QofQuimica did the PhD to MD strategy and does not recommend it. In fact, I will ask @QofQuimica, @Winged Scapula or any of the other moderators to move this thread to the physician scientist forum. Also, please use the search function to find similar questions to yours (many of these have been asked).

Last edited: