Applying to MD programs -- be open about considering applying internally for MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philosonista

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all --

I was for some time a pre-MD/PhD. But now I am hesitant. I want to experience a full year of research in my gap year before I commit (and before I compromise my otherwise competitive MD application). At the same time, I don't want to delay medical school and take two gap years. I don't much care about the money involved in paying for MS1 and perhaps MS2.

So the plan is to apply to MD programs, do research in my gap year and apply to the MD/PhD program internally if I enjoy it. Should I be open about this during the MD application cycle? If so, how, when?

Members don't see this ad.

After you get in the school

I wouldn't mention it in your primary app, but you could bring it up in secondaries and/or interviews at schools that are research-focused and enable/encourage applying internally to MD/PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not mention the possibility of transferring internally at any program, including research powerhouses. Even top-10s want to produce quality clinicians and not full-time bench researchers for their MD-only program. I would acknowledge your interests for research where appropriate.

Once you are an MS1, you can inquire about a transfer.

People act like this doesn't happen all the time. Ex. Stanford is working on streamlining this process. OP I would take 2 gap years. That way when you apply you have a full year of research and maybe a publication in press etc. + another year of volunteering/EC. If you're considering academic medicine you'll need to go to a tip-top program, and that's easier if you have more research experience before applying. Keep in mind that if you want to pursue academic medicine and you don't get the internal transfer you'll be completely screwed as paying down 300k of debt on an academic's salary is EXTREMELY difficult.

If you apply to MD and do a gap year of research and then in the next cycle you get accepted from MD and then apply MD/PhD even internally, you may be in violation of an acceptance agreement for your original MD, which likely forbids seeking another program (adding a PhD to regular accepted MD is not the same to getting into the MD/PhD program) Many schools have different process, committee, standards for MD and MD/PhD. You may be better off applying to both MD MD/PhD during the same cycle and decided which way to go when you get acceptances.

I'm not sure you know how this internal transfer stuff works, and for the sake of others reading this, I'll correct you. Yes, you have to be smart about making sure your program does internal transfers. Beyond that, it's acceptable to apply internally. You're not applying for the PhD program. You're applying for the MD/PhD program. Any other move is a mistake. And as an example, 25% of Yale's MD/PhD class is composed of internal applicants.

People act like this doesn't happen all the time. Ex. Stanford is working on streamlining this process. OP I would take 2 gap years. That way when you apply you have a full year of research and maybe a publication in press etc. + another year of volunteering/EC. If you're considering academic medicine you'll need to go to a tip-top program, and that's easier if you have more research experience before applying. Keep in mind that if you want to pursue academic medicine and you don't get the internal transfer you'll be completely screwed as paying down 300k of debt on an academic's salary is EXTREMELY difficult.

You scare me, but I'm glad for it.

I really have to do two years? You must realize my hesitation: If I don't like it and I've committed to a two year NIH IRTA, I've screwed myself out of getting into med school when I wanted to. I'm almost 23! I have two undergraduate degrees from two different schools. My resume and grades are very competitive for MD. I just wanna do it already.... with the possibility of a PhD thrown in if I like it.

But I understand what you're saying.

Much to think about.

You scare me, but I'm glad for it.

I really have to do two years? You must realize my hesitation: If I don't like it and I've committed to a two year NIH IRTA, I've screwed myself out of getting into med school when I wanted to. I'm almost 23! I have two undergraduate degrees from two different schools. My resume and grades are very competitive for MD. I just wanna do it already.... with the possibility of a PhD thrown in if I like it.

But I understand what you're saying.

Much to think about.

I've thought long and hard about this.

I know myself and academia enough to know I would never become a pure academic. 24/7 of that stuff is just not for me. It'd either be purely practicing or part scientist, part doctor. So the debt is not an issue for me. I think I'll apply purely MD because I just want to get on with it and my pure MD application is very good. I'll do a gap year of research, and then, if I really like the research, apply internally. Of course, ensuring that I pick programs carefully matching to with my chosen research field and those who are friendly to internal applications.

Whew.