applying to Med school after getting masters in Chemical engineering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul2752

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering to finish undergrad 1 year earlier then get a masters degree in chemical engineering. Is there any downside to applying to med school with a masters degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Does that mean yes or no? I m bad at picking up jokes

Members don't see this ad :)
Does that mean yes or no? I m bad at picking up jokes

No, but realize that grades for a masters degree aren't really given much weight when it comes to your application. Unless you do poorly and that would reflect poorly on you. If you are wanting to go to medical school, why do you want to do a masters in chemical engineering?

Reactions: 1 user
oh I m fine with the fact that graduate GPA doesn't count. The only reason is that I am a foreinger with student visa who applied for green card, and I am expecting to get it withint 6 years. I just need strategies to keep my visa status as long as possible.

Another reason that I m considering masters is that I also like Chem. engineering. I just want to have more career options.

Last edited:
Your time would be better spent doing something else during your gap year. Unless the master's would be free, there really is no point if med school is your ultimate goal (and this is coming from someone who did the ChE degree in 3 yrs)

EDIT: Just saw your reasoning OP - if money is not an issue I guess there's no real disadvantage or advantage as far as the med school admission process (as long as your grades are solid).

oh I m fine with the fact that graduate GPA doesn't count. The only reason is that I am a foreinger with student visa who applied for green card, and I am expecting to get it withint 6 years. I just need strategies to keep my visa status as long as possible.

Another reason that I m considering masters is that I also like Chem. engineering. I just want to have more career options.
Won't hurt you but also probably won't help you much. ChemE seemed to be a degree at least at my undergrad that a masters was considered a bit of a waste of productive time (i.e. you could either be working out in the real world or be doing a PhD). But as said before, if you have to do it, it won't hurt. Any research experience you get out of it can be used as a plus. Career options wise it won't open much compared to just having a bachelors. Research heavy ChemE jobs generally seem to require a PhD.

It doesn't help you... I had a undergrad in bioE and chemE and a MS in chemE... I don't think it helped me get in. My grades for my MS was slightly lower than undergrad (3.7). So if you are doing the MS just to get into med school - that's stupid. If you want to do a MS for whatever reason that you will unlikely use in the future, go for it.

It doesn't help you... I had a undergrad in bioE and chemE and a MS in chemE... I don't think it helped me get in. My grades for my MS was slightly lower than undergrad (3.7). So if you are doing the MS just to get into med school - that's stupid. If you want to do a MS for whatever reason that you will unlikely use in the future, go for it.
LOL who said it would help me? I asked if there is a downside to it not an upside. Did you even read my reasoning for considering MS?