1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

applying to med school after undergrad...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by nkg12345, Feb 20, 2001.

1. nkg12345

nkg12345 New Member

This is a general question: I am 24 and I am going to be applying to med school after having graduated from college in 1998. I actually have recommendations and stuff from three years ago. However my question is about recommendations when one has been out of school. How does that work? Do I have to get totally new ones, or do the old ones have some weight? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hallie

Hallie Member
    10+ Year Member

You could ask the profs that wrote your old letters to update them for med school, and maybe send them your resume/personal statement so they can include a bit of info about what you've been up to the last few years. If you have taken any post-bacc classes, get a letter from one of these profs. Finally, get a letter from any "major" (eg, more than 6 month) work (or volunteer) experience you have been involved in since graduation. These letters are especially valuable if they show that you were successful in previous endeavors, but are CHOOSING med school because that is what is in your heart. You actually are in a good situation because med schools appreciate additional letters from non-traditionals like yourself, so they will get to know a little more about you from all those letters.

4. nkg12345

nkg12345 New Member

Thansk for the reply. There is actually more to my story. When I applied three years ago, I actually got into med school, and a good one at that. Certain events transpired and I ended up not going to medical school. In any case, I was also wondering what med schools will ask about applying again? Do med schools have an institutional memory for previous applicants?

5. Hallie

Hallie Member
    10+ Year Member

Mmmm...I don't think I'm qualified to answer that one definitively. You might want to ask your pre-med advisor from your undergrad institution. In my uninformed opinion, I think there are decent odds you will be remembered. There are likely some of the same people on the adcoms, and one of them might remember your story. I don't know your situation, but it sounds like it might be something interesting to discuss in your personal statement. I'm sure you have a good reason for postponing things, even if it is simply that you were not ready. I am one year older than you and applied for the first time this year. I told interviewers flat-out that I was not ready to commit to medicine right out of college, but that I am now fully convinced because I have thought everything through and have actually been able to test out different jobs. It all seemed to go over very well and I don't think my earlier indecision has hurt me. I'm sure you'll do well - especially if you have already been accepted once! Just be ready to explain your decisions. =) Good luck!

6. biker_chick

biker_chick New Member

It's best to take at least a year of post-bac classes, from which you can draw strong, recent recommendations (at least 2 science professors). The third rec can come from your undergraduate advisor, and your fourth from a job supervisor. Just some examples, but since you've been out of school for a few years, the recommendation letters should reflect both college and post-bac periods.

I recently applied to medical school at the age of 29, and I graduated from college in 1993. I start medical school this August.

Best of Luck!