• Scariest Story Contest

    Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

    JOIN CONTEST

Applying to med school before taking mcat again

NCF145

Not Politically Correct
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
3,138
3
The Beach
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    I recently took the 2005 August MCAT and got what I would consider a competitive score (31). I was very dissapointed in my verbal score, in which i dropped 3 points from my average over the course of 13 practice tests. I plan on applying next year with this score, and was wondering if I decide to take the test next august again, will the medical schools that I have applied to automatically get my new scores? In other words, since I have already sent them my previous score would I have to send them my new scores, and could I not send them my new score if it goes down? The answer to this will most likely determine if I end up retaking the test.

    Thanks
    NCF
     

    jebus

    Membership Revoked
    Removed
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Aug 22, 2005
    2,526
    6
      They will get your old scores, you have no choice. The AAMC releases all your MCAT scores to AMCAS. That sure is a lot of sexy acronyms.
       

      NCF145

      Not Politically Correct
      10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Oct 13, 2005
      3,138
      3
      The Beach
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Originally posted by desiredusername
        They will get your old scores, you have no choice. The AAMC releases all your MCAT scores to AMCAS. That sure is a lot of sexy acronyms.

        I think u misunderstood my question. I know that they will receive my old scores. My question is if I have already submitted my August 2005 MCAT scores and submitted my AMCAS application will med schools automatically receive my August 2006 MCAT scores?
         
        About the Ads

        speranza

        Senior Member
        10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        May 25, 2005
        321
        0
        37
          NCF145 said:
          In other words, since I have already sent them my previous score would I have to send them my new scores, and could I not send them my new score if it goes down? The answer to this will most likely determine if I end up retaking the test.

          Thanks
          NCF

          Well if you submit AMCAS before August 2006, schools will receive your August 2005 scores. Once your August 2006 scores are in, schools will automatically receive those as well. In other words, you can't choose not to send your scores in if they are lower.
           

          Zweihander

          Billygoat Gruff
          Verified Expert
          15+ Year Member
          Silver Member
          Jun 9, 2003
          20,333
          26,522
          maximum effort
            safeflower said:
            Well if you submit AMCAS before August 2006, schools will receive your August 2005 scores. Once your August 2006 scores are in, schools will automatically receive those as well. In other words, you can't choose not to send your scores in if they are lower.
            huh? They used to give you the option of choosing not to send your scores, or to send them automatically. Has this changed?

            Of course, if you have a score and you don't release it, schools will be aware of this and it'll look fishy.
             

            jebus

            Membership Revoked
            Removed
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Aug 22, 2005
            2,526
            6
              NCF145 said:
              I think u misunderstood my question. I know that they will receive my old scores. My question is if I have already submitted my August 2005 MCAT scores and submitted my AMCAS application will med schools automatically receive my August 2006 MCAT scores?
              The AAMC releases all your MCAT scores to AMCAS. They will receive your 2006 scores once they become available, too.
              Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier.
               

              silas2642

              silas2642
              10+ Year Member
              Jul 24, 2005
              2,283
              16
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                NCF145 said:
                I recently took the 2005 August MCAT and got what I would consider a competitive score (31). I was very dissapointed in my verbal score, in which i dropped 3 points from my average over the course of 13 practice tests. I plan on applying next year with this score, and was wondering if I decide to take the test next august again, will the medical schools that I have applied to automatically get my new scores? In other words, since I have already sent them my previous score would I have to send them my new scores, and could I not send them my new score if it goes down? The answer to this will most likely determine if I end up retaking the test.

                Thanks
                NCF


                I was in the same position and in hindsight I would say don't retake the mcat unless you really have your heart set on an ivy league school or something. That thing is a beast, and it can come back and bite you in the butt when you least expect it. 31 is competitive score anywhere, and as long as your gpa is strong, I'm sure that schools will consider you. My friend had a 31 last year and had tons of interviews. I wouldn't worry about mcat. You're fine.
                 

                Law2Doc

                5K+ Member
                Moderator Emeritus
                10+ Year Member
                Dec 20, 2004
                30,880
                10,057
                1. Attending Physician
                  silas2642 said:
                  I was in the same position and in hindsight I would say don't retake the mcat unless you really have your heart set on an ivy league school or something. That thing is a beast, and it can come back and bite you in the butt when you least expect it. 31 is competitive score anywhere, and as long as your gpa is strong, I'm sure that schools will consider you. My friend had a 31 last year and had tons of interviews. I wouldn't worry about mcat. You're fine.

                  I would agree with this, unless the score is majorly unballanced (eg. 6, 13, 12). There are other ways to use the time to improve your application (in terms of ECs, volunteering, research) which don't pose the downside risk of having an off day and getting a lower score. There are certainly people who get into great schools with a 31.
                   

                  NCF145

                  Not Politically Correct
                  10+ Year Member
                  7+ Year Member
                  Oct 13, 2005
                  3,138
                  3
                  The Beach
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    Originally posted by silas2642
                    I was in the same position and in hindsight I would say don't retake the mcat unless you really have your heart set on an ivy league school or something. That thing is a beast, and it can come back and bite you in the butt when you least expect it. 31 is competitive score anywhere, and as long as your gpa is strong, I'm sure that schools will consider you. My friend had a 31 last year and had tons of interviews. I wouldn't worry about mcat. You're fine.

                    Thanks, I feel that I have a competitive score, but as usual looking at MDapplicants and SDN makes me feel like a ****** when it comes to MCAT scores. I know that I shouldn't retake it, but my 8 in verbal with a 11 in PS and a 12 in BS really gets under my skin, because I know I can do sooo much better. Anyways, I feel I have a pretty good overall application, I am just very worried about that 8 in verbals since I have heard that a lot of med schools place a lot of weight on the verbal section.

                    Oh well, enough rambling for now.

                    Thanks
                     
                    About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 15 years old.

                    Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

                    1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.