applying to medical school after doing a PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nolor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm new here, so if I am posting a similar post to someone else/not posting in the right section, I apologize!

Bit of background: I am going into the final year of my PhD in computer engineering/computer music (in the UK) and am going to be applying to med school for the 2013-2014 academic year. I wrote MCATs 5 years ago when I finished my Bachelors degree (which was in Music and Chemistry from a Canadian school) so I will be redoing them early 2012 as they have expired!
I have been in school continuously since I graduated high school, and also have a masters degree in the same field as my PhD.

My main question is how graduate work GPAs factor into the med school academic requirements? I have been hunting through the websites of the schools I'm looking to apply to, and haven't been able to find anything.

Also, does graduate work make any different when you are applying, in particular if it is in a non traditional field?

I will be applying to Canadian medical schools (I'm Canadian).

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to SDN from a fellow PhD-to-MD. These topics have indeed been discussed many times. May I humbly suggest that you peruse the sticky at the top of this forum? In particular, this post will answer many of your questions. You can also search for topics using the search function, located in the horizontal menu at the top of each forum page. Hope this helps, and best of luck. :)

Ah perfect! Just what I was looking for :)
Cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian med schools handle things differently from American, including grad school grades. You need to go visit the Canadian equivalent of SDN, where you will find a wealth of specific info:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/

Welcome to SDN from a fellow PhD-to-MD. These topics have indeed been discussed many times. May I humbly suggest that you peruse the sticky at the top of this forum? In particular, this post will answer many of your questions. You can also search for topics using the search function, located in the horizontal menu at the top of each forum page. Hope this helps, and best of luck. :)

I never read that Q. Thanks.

I'm kinda glad I didn't