Applying to Medical School without an Undergrad Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hook17

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophmore engineering major, just took the MCAT. Im hoping to apply early this summer somehwere. Has anyone had experience with applying without a degree? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

oh come on someone has to at least tell me its a bad idea

Well if you are waiting for and know the obvious response why did you post the question?

Just look at it this way...You would have some ridiculous stats to be accepted over people with degrees.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hook17 said:
oh come on someone has to at least tell me its a bad idea

It's a bad idea

I was hoping, someone on the board did the same or knows someone who did

I am sure someone knows someone who knows someone who did but I have a feeling you have your mind made up. If you have the cash to blow go for it but as I said earlier, you need to have something special going for you for the ad com to overlook you not having a degree and take you over someone who does.

Hook17 said:
I'm a sophmore engineering major, just took the MCAT. Im hoping to apply early this summer somehwere. Has anyone had experience with applying without a degree? Any advice?

Most schools do not require an undergrad degree, but keep in mind that they will be stricter on your stats if you don't have one. I know several people that were accepted to medical school a year early, and did not complete their degree.

Why not apply? You can always reapply the following year if you don't get in. If you do get in, you save a year of your life.

a few schools have 6 year med programs you start junior yr. of college. UF i know has one.

Hook17 said:
I was hoping, someone on the board did the same or knows someone who did

I applied early and got accepted to one school so far and I'll be hearing from one other within the week. So it can definitely be done. I'll be finishing my third year at a small private college with no name at all. (Edgewood College, I'm sure none of you have even heard of it) As of this spring I'll be 15 credits short of graduating with a BS. All I did was take large class loads (17, +/- 1) and I did a one month program in England over the summer for 9 creds. of gen. reqs. I realized my senior year would be a joke and a waste of time and decided to take the mcat early and just go for it. I knew it was a long shot but it can be done.
So go for it. I wouldn't apply to a ton of schools though because some won't even consider you. Apply to those you know you have the stats to get into. I only applied to 5, got three interviews. My stats are slightly above average but nothing special,especially for this forum, 33P, 4.0 gpa (remember small little school), no research, some volunteering, captian of the soccer team and some other leadership things.
So good luck I'd say throw your name at a few places and see what happens. The worse thing would be that you'd finish your undergrad and have a much better change the next year.