Applying to MPH straight from undergrad? Harvard, Yale Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycstdnt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm wondering if it's possible to go to one of these MPH programs straight from undergrad:

Undergrad: Ivy League
Major: Sociology
GPA: 3.75
Experience:
-independent study
-3 research assistant positions
-study abroad +independent study

2 years as women's health educator on campus, internships with women's health NGO's (2)

Currently writing a thesis on a very specific issue that I'm looking to keep studying in undergrad, and then to hopefully get a PhD in sociology with my background in public health.

Am I aiming way too high?

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard, no. Their MPH program is for folks with a PhD or MD already. Their SM program accepts straight from undergrad. Yale and Columbia, yes.

so yale and columbia would be yeses/ I would be a reasonable candidate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey--
I applied last year directly from undergrad with similar stats and got into Columbia. Did not apply to any of the others you mentioned. I know a few people from my undergrad school who went right to Columbia's MPH program and one who went to Yale's.

I'm now at another top 10 school BUT I am really regretting my decision. I am the youngest person in my cohort and the adjustment has been tough. Only 3 of us (out of about 50) came straight from undergrad. I wish I had taken a gap year. I'm doing well grade-wise, but I lack the professional/real-word experience that everyone else has. I always thought of myself as mature, but it's really hard to keep up with people who are even a few years older than me. I'm hoping it gets better.

By all means, do what you think is right for you, but think REALLY hard about your decision. It might be worth asking schools how many people come directly from undergrad. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about anything.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Harvard and Hopkins require 2 years of experience AFTER graduation for their MPH programs. You could also apply as a PhD or MD student.

Echoing the post above, my advice would be to see if you can set up some opportunity or job to do for the next year after graduation. You don't have to, but it'd be tremendously helpful before going into the MPH. If you get a good job, it's something to consider doing. If you don't find a job and your only opportunity for the next year is the MPH, then just do the MPH.

This isn't related to your specific case, but personally I think it'd be better to spend 2 years getting valuable experience and then doing the 1 year MPH at Harvard or Hopkins (these are 1 year programs that you apply into after 2 years of work experience) rather than doing 2 years of MPH and then getting work experience.

All the best with applications!

An alternative is to just go straight into a sociology PhD program. You can always get coursework in a public health discipline while doing the PhD. Just a thought to save you some time and money.