Applying to MSTP as enrolled PhD student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxiVaxx

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know the logistics of NIH GPP, but I have met quite a few PhD students who wanted to transition to MSTP and they had to apply just like anyone else. I would say that unless you get accepted to your school's MSTP program, odds are that you will need to move elsewhere and do research at that new place. Even in PhD programs, I have never heard of anyone doing research somewhere outside of their school (unless the PI moved their lab , but that's a very extreme situation).

Reactions: 1 user
You're going to have to move elsewhere as the previous user says. Have you shadowed or done enough clinical experiences to determine if you want to become a physician-scientist and not just a scientist? If so, I know Miami-Miller, Maryland, Alabama-Birmingham, and Pittsburg have taken track 3 NIH GPP students into their MSTP programs. There may be other schools that do the same but those are the ones I can think of from the top of my head.