• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Applying to neuro match without Neuro elective

missmedschool

MS3
5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2011
    So I am seriously thinking of applying for the neuro match this year, however, my school does not require a neuro rotation, and the extra time I have in my 4th year will be spent on research electives. I currently shadow a local neurologist and got plenty of neuro exposure in IM. However ... how bad does this look if I apply to the neuro match but didn't take a neuro elective, even if the time is spent on neuro research papers?

Thanks!

About the Ads

kindasorta

Carrot
    Dec 17, 2012
      Nope, as I said above we are not required to take neuro. Would appreciate a genuine answer, as I along with any other med student could "google" anything, but advice from those who have been through the process is the gold standard.

I realize you're not Walt Whitman, but your original post wasn't very clear. Sure people can get in without an elective, but without any rotation whatsoever?

I gave you a genuine answer. You won't get into a specialty, any specialty, without a rotation in it. Unless you SOAP.

Thama

destroyer of tremors, zapper of brain nucleii
      10+ Year Member
      Apr 13, 2009
      1. Attending Physician
        Why on earth would anyone want to apply to a speciality without having gone through at least an elective in it in the first place? Something seeming kind of cool from what you've read/heard isn't a great reason to commit your entire career to it.

typhoonegator

Neurointensivist
        Moderator Emeritus
        10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Dec 22, 2006
        Boston
        1. Attending Physician
          Neuro research is great, but you don't go to residency to perform neuro research. Your program directors want to see that you are clinically competent and that you know what you are getting into, which cannot be accomplished by shadowing someone or seeing a few neuro patients during your IM rotation. I would highly recommend taking a month to do a neuro rotation.

missmedschool

MS3
          5+ Year Member
          Dec 23, 2011
            Neuro research is great, but you don't go to residency to perform neuro research. Your program directors want to see that you are clinically competent and that you know what you are getting into, which cannot be accomplished by shadowing someone or seeing a few neuro patients during your IM rotation. I would highly recommend taking a month to do a neuro rotation.

Thanks for the helpful responses! Clearly I need to get on the neuro rotation quick.

Chocolateagar04

Jul 20, 2011
              For what it's worth, one of my good friends from medical school is now a PGY-1 resident somewhere many would consider top-5 and at least top 10 without ever doing a neuro elective nor ever having neuro research.

I'd name the institution but I don't want to bring any attention to him at his residency.

Kneige

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Jan 24, 2008
              1. Pre-Medical
                When you guys mentioned not having done Neuro elective, does that mean you have done the Core rotation though? I'm at a school where there is no Neuro core clerkship and I'm working on getting an away rotation but I worry if I am even eligible to apply for Away without having had Core.

Anybody knows my chances of getting into Neuro away rotation without having had Core? Thanks!

Mattchiavelli

5+ Year Member
                May 23, 2010
                Indiana
                1. Attending Physician
                  Just as a point- there isn't a requirement for a "Neurology Clerkship," just a requirement to teach clinical neuroscience and the neurologic exam. A lot of schools have a full clerkship (mine did) but some fold it into IM and some just do like a week or two rotation.

But to answer the OP- Shadowing + research =/= doing a clinical rotation. If you aren't going into a very research heavy residency program I don't know if your research related letters of rec would outweigh letters from a clinical neurologist that can comment on your clinical ability and associated skill sets. It's possible to be an amazing researcher but a horrible resident.

NeurologyDO

Apr 4, 2013
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    My school does not require neuro, either, but I still managed to squeeze in 3 neuro rotations as electives :) Not having a neuro elective will probably look bad ;-) Also, neuro rotations are a great time to get strong LOR from neurologists! If the programs don't see that you've done a neuro rotation, they will probably question how dedicated you are to neurology

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.