applying to new programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

min27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question here,
I applied to a bunch of new programs today because of the lack of interview invites I've been getting so far.
Since it's so late in the process, should I even expect to get any interview invites from these programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question here,
I applied to a bunch of new programs today because of the lack of interview invites I've been getting so far.
Since it's so late in the process, should I even expect to get any interview invites from these programs?

What field? For example, everyone I've talked to about Emergency Medicine has said that they send out the bulk of their invites in October.

hey, I only have 3 interviews for IM so far. Should I be worried? Should I apply to more places? I applied broadly to many university and community programs.

From my multiple experiences with the application process, this is my general observation:

-It is NOT about the number of applications, but it is about the quality. So read the program's application requirements carefully. If you meet their requirements, then apply, but if you do not, then it is just a waste of money.

-The process is COMPLETELY subjective....If a PD does not like FMGs, he /she will not interview or rank a FMG. So look at the resident roster before you apply.

-A poor application is a poor application. Applying to extra programs will not significantly increase the chances of interviews. When there is a poor application, the effort must be directed at making that poor application stronger, and not waste time and money with applying to more programs.

-For the most part, there is no such thing as "it is too late", or "all our interview slots are already filled". And I do not believe in the myth that if you apply on Sept 16, then you will have a better shot at getting an interview. I think this is non-sence, for the most part. In this game, the PD is the PIMP KING. He/she calls the shots. If the PD wants you, he/she WILL find a way to get you, no matter how early or late you apply (as long as you are within the application time-frame that the program stated). It is funny how interviews "just pop-up" when the PD is interested in the applicant. It is all very subjective.

Good Luck

From my multiple experiences with the application process, this is my general observation:

-It is NOT about the number of applications, but it is about the quality. So read the program's application requirements carefully. If you meet their requirements, then apply, but if you do not, then it is just a waste of money.

-The process is COMPLETELY subjective....If a PD does not like FMGs, he /she will not interview or rank a FMG. So look at the resident roster before you apply.

-A poor application is a poor application. Applying to extra programs will not significantly increase the chances of interviews. When there is a poor application, the effort must be directed at making that poor application stronger, and not waste time and money with applying to more programs.

-For the most part, there is no such thing as "it is too late", or "all our interview slots are already filled". And I do not believe in the myth that if you apply on Sept 16, then you will have a better shot at getting an interview. I think this is non-sence, for the most part. In this game, the PD is the PIMP KING. He/she calls the shots. If the PD wants you, he/she WILL find a way to get you, no matter how early or late you apply (as long as you are within the application time-frame that the program stated). It is funny how interviews "just pop-up" when the PD is interested in the applicant. It is all very subjective.

Good Luck

Leukocyte, that was a very helpful post. Thank you. My step 1 score really sucked, and I was worried that programs would be too impatient to wait for my CK score (which is going to be way much better). I was worried they would reject me by then. It's cool to know that when it comes out in a month from now, I still may get interviews if they really like it. I was getting worried that by then they would have filled their spots and that even if they wanted me, they couldn't interview me.

Thanks again!

If you're willing to take the chance at a dream program or something, it may not be a waste of money if you're just outside their requirements. I took the chance on a program that listed its requirements on their website. I didn't meet their requirements, but I was just below it. I applied and somehow, got an interview. I would suggest only applying if it's a place you REALLY want to go and you're just below the requirement. Applying to Yale with two failed board scores and a failed year in med school will most likely be a waste of money.

-The process is COMPLETELY subjective....If a PD does not like FMGs, he /she will not interview or rank a FMG. So look at the resident roster before you apply

Agree.

Disagree. If you apply to 15 programs with a poor application and don't get any interviews, I'd suggest adding 5-10 more that are less competitive and/or more friendly to your credentials (if you're an IMG, add more IMG-friendly programs, etc.).

Hope you're right on this one.