Applying to OMFS a couple years out of dental school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whodatdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all the recent Matches - here's to hoping I can post some good news in 01/2012!

Just wondering if any of you are in or have run across anyone with a similar situation. I graduated in '09 and went to work directly for the Navy (finishing up in June '12, but not before I spend the next 7 months on a paid vacation to Afghanistan).

I'll spare you the details, but I've decided to pursue my dream and apply for an OMFS program. Since I thought I had decided to do GP, I never did any externships or research... but I have had a fair amount of Sx experience (both clinically and OR) while at the Navy hospital, and I feel I have some good LORs coming. My NBDE I/II are 92/87 and I was in the top 10 of my class. Lots of extracurriculars.... any feedback??

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all the recent Matches - here's to hoping I can post some good news in 01/2012!

Just wondering if any of you are in or have run across anyone with a similar situation. I graduated in '09 and went to work directly for the Navy (finishing up in June '12, but not before I spend the next 7 months on a paid vacation to Afghanistan).

I'll spare you the details, but I've decided to pursue my dream and apply for an OMFS program. Since I thought I had decided to do GP, I never did any externships or research... but I have had a fair amount of Sx experience (both clinically and OR) while at the Navy hospital, and I feel I have some good LORs coming. My NBDE I/II are 92/87 and I was in the top 10 of my class. Lots of extracurriculars.... any feedback??

Arent' there some places that give preference to army folk?

that i don't know - hopefully programs will look at it as the experience it is, and just consider it a part of the package... a lot of guys stay in service to do OMFS, but after a lot of consideration, i'm ready to get back to the civilian side of things - plus i look a lot better without a buzz cut ;)

i am in a very similar situation with very similar stats. hopefully it works out for both of us as I will be applying for 2012 as well. good luck in afghanistan.