Applying to one school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do the schools know how many you've applied to when you go for your interview (or before)?

I only applied to Western and I'm wondering if it will be an advantage if they know that they are the only school I applied to.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that through AACOMAS they know how many you applied and how many acceptances you have. I'm not sure if they know about interviews. Some one else may be able to shed some more light on this issue.

I don't think they know how many you applied to or where you applied to, unless you tell them, of course, until after april 15th when they get that info from AACOMAS. Don't quote me on that though.

Members don't see this ad :)
On my interviews every medical school asked me the status of every application. It was a really big list of 20 schools

AK

You actually asked a TWO part question. Since the above posters only reply your first part question, I like to take a crack at your second part question.

"I only applied to Western and I'm wondering if it will be an advantage if they know that they are the only school I applied to."

I think that Western would appreciate your sincerity. But then why would you need any advantage? You have a very impressive clinical experience at LA County, and it's your opinion that
•••quote:•••
Toejam posted June 13, 2002 04:12 PM
........I'm only applying to COMP, but I think it's one of the less competitive DO schools.
••••:confused:

I was asked at my interviews if I applied anywhere else. They also asked me to rank my choices. Luckily, I only decided to go to the interviews of my top 2 choices, which were really really closely ranked. I was honest and they seemed to appreciate it. Both accepted me.

Jeez, GoForIt! Are you stalking my posts!!??

In the event you weren't being sarcastic, thanks for the encouragement.

1. When you apply through AACOMAS, the schools that you selected will recieve a copy of the applicant's profile that was generated. Morevoer,on the top of the AACOMAS profile is a listing of schools that AACOMAS has sent your profile to that the applicant requested it to be sent. So, yes the schools do know where you chose to submit your profile which is meant by the primary application phase.

2. The schools do not know whether you recieved any interviews or not. However, they're not stupid. They have all the information that the submitted indivudal gave to AACOMAs to the submitted sschool such as GPA/test scores. So,
they may not know whether you've had any inteviews or acceptances but the admissions director may be able to determine the quality of the applicant's profile and make judgements as to the strength of the indivual which all directors follow and offer interviews to.

GoForIt quoted that Toejam posted June 13, 2002 04:12 PM
........I'm only applying to COMP, but I think it's one of the less competitive DO schools.

I disagree that COMP is one of the less competitive DO schools. On the contrary, I think that COMP is one of the MORE competitive DO schools due to its Southern California location, established affiliated hospitals and rotation arrangements, high percentage of board exam passage rate (I saw a link at SDN that COMP has the 4th highest board pass rate among all DO schools), and great resident matching results (many COMP graduates matched into very competitive programs).

Many COMP students were accepted to many other med schools, but decide to attend COMP because of the above mentioned good qualities of COMP.

Toejam, are we talking about the same school?

Like others have mentioned, during the time of your interview, schools don't know about your app. to other schools. However, they might ask you where else you applied to and the status of your application at those schools.

Hey, Whatsup

I know very little about the competitiveness of the schools and I base my understanding only on what I read on the forums.

There was a thread a few months ago which asked people what they thought the "best" DO schools were. Many responded and gave lists and Western was missing from every single list. It was this plus another thread intended for the Western students who bitched and moaned about the state of the school, the rotations, the insensitivity of the administration, etc.

Like I said, I don't know, but I agree with you. I looked past all of this garbage and focused instead on the high pass rate of the boards, the varied residency placement (lots of different specialties), the So Cal connection (I grew up in Santa Monica, went to UCLA) and the excellent presentation at the campus last April (Osteopathic Medicine Awareness Conference).

I applied to COMP about 10 years ago and actually had a DREAM that I was accepted! I still remember the feeling. Funny enough, I ended up going to podiatry school and it didn't quite live up to my dream feeling.

I have a book (some Princeton book) which lists all of the medical schools, MD and DO, in the states. From what I read, they are all pretty similar in terms of numbers/GPA. I think Pikeville might have had the lowest overall numbers.

Toejam;

It's very irresponsible for you to say in a public forum that "COMP's one of the less competitive DO schools" when you admit that you know very little about the competitiveness of the schools.

It's my opinion that COMP students are more vocal than those of any other schools. I take it with a grain of salt (as matter of fact, a river of salt) on what they say on the forums.

"I applied to COMP about 10 years ago and actually had a DREAM that I was accepted! I still remember the feeling. Funny enough, I ended up going to podiatry school " May I ask were you accepted to COMP about 10 years ago? If you were accepted, why didn't you attend? If you were not accepted, then COMP might be more competitive than you think.

Anyway, good luck to you this time around with your COMP application.

HOLY COW!

All I said was that "I think that COMP is one of the less competitive schools". MAN! I didn't say that I knew it for a fact nor did I trash the school. And, I admitted later that I didn't know, but did back it up with some reasonable evidence that may lead one to believe that it is not one of the most sought after DO schools (not being ranked, the disgruntled student thread).

Irresponsible would have been me saying that I knew COMP was the least competitive schools based on reams of evidence.

Yes, you may ask if I was accepted to COMP 10 years ago. And, I'll even answer you.

I got an interview, but I had already decided that I was going to go to podiatry school in San Francisco so I declined.

I will READILY admit that COMP is more competitive than any podiatry school. But, of course, that wasn't what I was talking about. I wasn't even asking that question, but I was referring to COMP in reference to the other DO schools.

apply to more than one school!