Applying to Ophtho... Planning to have a third LOR from a non-conventional 3rd year clerkship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uknowyuno

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first time posting. I am a MS3 on my last core year rotation, so fourth year is coming up pretty soon. Any insight on this would be very much appreciated.

I know that the standard for applying to ophtho is to have 2 ophtho letters and 1 non-ophtho letter. Here's the thing, I have asked a psychiatry attending to write my non-ophtho letter. I was able to work with this attending very closely for the entire rotation, and he has expressed to me on multiple occasions that he believed I was a very strong student. Because of how small the team was, I think this letter could be a great and personal letter about my work ethics and drive for patient care. However, psychiatry is probably as far as you can get from a surgical subspecialty field, so I am not sure how much weight this letter would actually carry on my app and how much this would help me.

There are a few reasons I did not ask for a LOR from medicine or surgery. I had medicine and surgery pretty early on in my third year and had not been thinking about LORs until very recently, and by this time I am not sure if these attendings even remember my names.

My question is, does the fact that my third letter comes from a psychiatry attending take away from my application at all? I have the option of doing a Sub-I in medicine earlier in fourth year to get a letter there, but since I decided on ophtho pretty late, I already will need to put in work to get ophtho letters from my home department and away rotations. If the psychiatry LOR is good enough, I would probably try to place all my efforts towards the ophtho LORs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A strong letter is a strong letter. Doesn't matter if it's psychiatry.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with DrZeke. I think for the non-ophtho letter you want someone who can speak strongly as to your work ethic, clinical skills, etc. I think that's more important than getting a med/surg letter.