Applying to Pediatric residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lksme

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a current D2 who's very interested in Pedo. I just started to look at the process of applying and has so many questions! I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could answer any or all of the following questions! Thank you!!

1. Are Pedo residency usually a paid residency? Or are they mostly tuition?
2. I also heard you can't get hired for any paid residency programs as an international student? Is this true? :(
2. Are there tests one should take before applying? ADAT?
3. How competitive is it? My GPA is around 3.80 and my class ranking is about top 20%. Would I need to bump it up by a lot more to have a chance?
4. What makes an applicant competitive? GPA? community involvement? Good letter of recommendation?
5. Is there a list/resource of schools with Pedos where I can look to choose where to apply?
6. Is it harder to get accepted after you started working as a GP for a few year vs applying straight out of dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Yes, mostly paid
2. I don't know
2 (sic). ADAT is optional, most programs do not require it.
3. Your rank is competitive
4. Rank, PS, and LoRs to get you in the door. Once you have an interview, personality, experience, passion
5. AAPD | Residency Programs
6. Real world experience, ideally treating children, is typically considered a good thing when applying

Reactions: 1 user
Current peds resident here! Feel free to send me a message so we can talk more

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with everything by @free99. Additionally, you can get accepted into a paid program as an internationally trained dentist/IDP dentist. I did! Good luck!

Agree with everything by @free99. Additionally, you can get accepted into a paid program as an internationally trained dentist/IDP dentist. I did! Good luck!

Are you a GC holder or citizen? Or F1 Student?

Hi guys! I'm reading the verbiage of dental match rules. Is it truly looked down upon to tell a program that you are ranking them as a top choice?

Hi guys! I'm reading the verbiage of dental match rules. Is it truly looked down upon to tell a program that you are ranking them as a top choice?

The rules state that the program and yourself are not supposed to make any commitments prior to match results being released. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for it but expressing your interest in a school isn't unheard of. I've had programs ask "so what do you think of the program?" Some have even gone to ask me how theirs compare to others in my own personal opinion. The only real concern would be if you were forcing a school to commit to you or the school forcing you to make a commitment to their school prior to match day.

Any advice for upcoming interviews this season. Especially virtual interviews?