Applying to Pharm and Dent too

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HawaiiHereICome

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here apply, at the same time mind you, to Pharm and Dent in addition to Med School? Obviously you probably won't want to apply to pharm and med school at the same school since that might look bad.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you thinking of doing that? This thought indicates, primarily, I would think, either that you are unsure about what you want to do, or that you don't care. These three professions are extremely different. I would suggest getting to know each of them, trying them on by shadowing corresponding professionals, and then picking one. Each of these paths are too long, arduous, and expensive to pick arbitrarily, in opinion.

Also, this is edging on :beat:

Are you thinking of doing that? This thought indicates, primarily, I would think, either that you are unsure about what you want to do, or that you don't care. These three professions are extremely different. I would suggest getting to know each of them, trying them on by shadowing corresponding professionals, and then picking one. Each of these paths are too long, arduous, and expensive to pick arbitrarily, in opinion.

Also, this is edging on :beat:
yeah i was thinking of applying to med school and pharmacy but then you would have to take different courses and both the mcat and pcat . Not worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here apply, at the same time mind you, to Pharm and Dent in addition to Med School? Obviously you probably won't want to apply to pharm and med school at the same school since that might look bad.

Not quite the same, but I applied to astronaut school and McDonalds Management Training (Hamburger University) at the same time as med school. It was a hard decision, but ultimately NASA's financial aid package just wasn't up to snuff.

Apply to the schools that will give you the profession you desire. If simply don't care, you might not be ready to apply. Applying to a handful of each type of school would be incredibly costly.

:confused:

Are you crazy?

sounds like someone is on a quest to just get the "dr." in front of their name.........

Three is overkill. Its a waste of time and money. I've seen people apply to two professions before as back-up and they've spent the time to explore both professions. You definitely have to ask yourself what you're more passionate about and is within your reach. If its medicine that you want, and your stats arent up to par, take some time to improve your stats. If you're still unsure of what you want to do for the rest of your life, i suggest shadowing or volunteering in that area. Its a big life decision.

If adcoms know that you are applying to different professions, it looks really bad. They will definitely question your intentions and think that you're not ready. They would rather pick students that are passionate/determined about their professions than the ones that are using them as back-ups. And in the end, you might just screw yourself over by applying to multiple programs!

A more reasonable strategy is to apply to a variety of both allopathic and osteopathic schools, with job applications to related fields as backup. To apply to three entirely different doctorates (you might as well apply to PhD programs, too if you're going to hit the four science big doctorates) is an unreasonable expectation and a waste of time and money. THe time you spend on studying for your PCAT, DAT and GREs could be spent on other things to make your application to mediacl school more competitive.