Applying to Pharmacy school in 4 months. Need major suggestions/advice

May 15, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hello, I just finished up my sophomore year at the University of Iowa, and that is where I am applying to the Pharmacy School. I was going to finish out my bachelors degree first, but it turns out i have some of my pre requs done and i will be able to apply this fall. however, i have to retake Principles of Biology I this summer, and I am also taking Organic Chemistry I this summer. I am registered to take the PCAT on September 25, 2012.
So far the following stats I can give are:

Cumalitive GPA: 2.07
Need a 2.5 to apply.

Gen Chem: B-
Principles of Chem I: C
Principles of Chem II (retook): C-
Rhetoric: C+
Math for Biological Science: C+
Human Biology: C
Pharmacy Seminar: A+
Self Defence Seminar: A+
Human Anatomy: F--> I am going to retake this in Fall 2012

Courses I am taking this summer:
Medical and Technical Terminology
Organic Chemistry I
Principles of bIology I

Courses scheduled for Fall 2012:

Bio II
Orgo II
Human Anatomy
Biochemistry I

Basically my fallback is if i dont get into pharm school this year, I will finish out my degree in biochemistry and re apply.
I have had a year and a half of research experience for the college of medicine here at iowa. I volunteered for two semesters here and I held a leadership position for the University of Iowa indian Student Alliance. It is my dream school and I know I can definitely work hard and not give up. What are my chances of getting accepted to the University of Iowa College of Pharmacy for the Fall 2013 term?

Thank you so much for any advice or feedback

God Bless.

May 2, 2012
NC
Status
Pharmacy Student
My opinion is to do very well in organic and biochemistry, that should help with your general chemistry grades. I would plan on getting the degree then applying, also try to get high scores on the PCAT and explain in your letter why your grades are low (i.e. working full time and taking courses). Watch out for organic 2 and biochemistry at the same time, they are tough classes. I would also talk to the admissions center and get feedback (be friendly and thank them for their time and help). Good luck on the PCAT.

Twentytwelve2

7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2011
Status
Pharmacist
Bio II
Orgo II
Human Anatomy
Biochemistry I

These are challenging courses to all be taken within the same semester. I highly recommend you reconsider. You dont have a great track record, and even if you did, it will be extremely hard to pull off good grades in all 4.

AlPacino

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
Bio II
Orgo II
Human Anatomy
Biochemistry I

all in the same semester? Like ChemPharm said, these are all difficult classes and taking them all in the same semester even if you have no job or social life, will be beyond hard. I would spread them out into 2 science classes and 2 electives.

You still have time to redeem yourself so give it your all in these remaining courses. Also make sure to study hard and do well on the PCAT. There is no better way of getting back at a subject which you got a bad grade then mastering it on the PCAT.

pharmerbird

5+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2011
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Did you check the pre reqs for Biochemistry? Because at my University Organic Chemistry 2 is a prereq for it....

OP
F
May 15, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Thanks guys, but i have to take these together. since my fall back is to get my bachelors and then pharmacy school, these classes is a must. i know it will be hard but i mean at this point i dont really have a choice. i talked to admissions and they said if i get a's and b's from here on out and i do well on the pcat there is no reason why i shouldnt get in to the school.

Jun 22, 2009
Status
Thanks guys, but i have to take these together. since my fall back is to get my bachelors and then pharmacy school, these classes is a must. i know it will be hard but i mean at this point i dont really have a choice. i talked to admissions and they said if i get a's and b's from here on out and i do well on the pcat there is no reason why i shouldnt get in to the school.
The thing is based on your records, will you be able to get all A's and B's from now on taking those 4 classes in one semester? Much easier said than done. Also, why do you have to take those 4 classes in the fall? If you're applying for 2013 you can still spread them out to spring semester, or am i missing something?

OP
F
May 15, 2012
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
well here's all the pre req courses for the uiowa college of pharmacy:
rheotirc
chem 1
chem 2
orgo 1
orgo 2
bio 1
bio 2
calc 1
stats
microbio
microecon
Human Anatomy
Human Physiology
and 12 hours of gen eds

the ones in red i have taken
and the ones in pink i will take this summer
i have taken 8 hours of gen eds
so if i split up my fall semester there is no way i can complete the remaining courses by summer 2013. plus the bio curriculum is changing and the last time they are offering bio 2 at the university is fall 2012.
i mean i wont be working or anything and i know i can focus and do well, the main reason my grades were low in previous semesters was because i worked FULL TIME in research and that took a toll on me.

Jan 17, 2012
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I know it isn't the most favorable thing to do, but slow down and spread out your classes over another 1-3 semesters. Apply as much as you want, but don't overload yourself or you'll likely end up regretting it and retaking another few courses. Just my opinion.

Corpseman

7+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
I would take:
Fall 2012
A/p
Bio 2
Micro biology

Winter:
Micro econ