Applying to Post-Doc as a Couple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psy2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

As post-doc application season is starting to get underway, I wanted to see if I could get some input regarding the the process. My partner and I will both be applying to post-docs this year, and ideally would like to get back in the same area of the country. We have been told to reach out to training directors to inquire as to if they would be open to working with us throughout this process, prior to sending out applications. Also, of course, we have been advised to be honest during our interviews about the situation.

So, here are the questions:
1) How receptive are training directors to working with couples who are trying to go through the post-doc process?
2) Do you have any other pieces of advice regarding how to start conversations about this with training directors/post-doc sites?
3) I am planning to continue within the VA system for post-doc, and my partner would like to get into the VA (they have no VA experience). Do you believe attempting to "match" as a couple will hinder either of our abilities to find a suitable placement?
4) Any other words of wisdom/caution?

Any insight is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.