Applying to Prelim Medicine - best shot at getting a categorical spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermaway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am applying for derm, and have definitely decided prelim medicine over a TY and god forbid prelim surgery.

I really loved my medicine rotation as well, and so if I were to not match into derm, I would certainly consider just continuing on and finishing a medicine residency.

My question is, what are some of the best places to do my prelim year if I am looking for a place in particular that might help me secure a PGY-2 medicine spot if I don't match derm?

In general, should I be looking into applying to do a prelim position at the top programs or should I choose smaller community prelim positions?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having a hard time making sense of this. If you want to have IM as a backup then you need to apply to both prelim and categorical positions as a 4th year. Generally you would apply prelim at community places that are more cushy, categorical at rigorous univ programs and then rank all the categorical programs below the derm programs you interview at.

I'm having a hard time making sense of this. If you want to have IM as a backup then you need to apply to both prelim and categorical positions as a 4th year. Generally you would apply prelim at community places that are more cushy, categorical at rigorous univ programs and then rank all the categorical programs below the derm programs you interview at.
sorry i was unclear.

i don't want to apply to IM categorical as a backup. Rather, I want to apply to prelim IM that are known to allow residents to continue on as a categorical if they want. My advisors tell me this is possible. Were they mistaken?

Members don't see this ad :)
In my place (university program) there were about 2 prelims per year who switched to categorical. These were people who had derm or rads spots already, but switched because they liked IM. It also happened that there were people who would leave for various reasons too though, so there were spots available, so YMMV.

sorry i was unclear.

i don't want to apply to IM categorical as a backup. Rather, I want to apply to prelim IM that are known to allow residents to continue on as a categorical if they want. My advisors tell me this is possible. Were they mistaken?

Something tells me the kind of person that would be competitive for derm would not be happy ending up categorical medicine at some community hospital.

Spots open up at great medicine programs due to a variety of reasons, from performance to personal. Luck of the draw and timing, I don't think it is anything you can really plan for.

Reactions: 1 user
In my place (university program) there were about 2 prelims per year who switched to categorical. These were people who had derm or rads spots already, but switched because they liked IM. It also happened that there were people who would leave for various reasons too though, so there were spots available, so YMMV.
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Um, you're in GI. I'm just surprised someone would give up a Derm or Rads spot for IM.

Oh Im just teasing. Derm for sure, I could not have matched derm coming out of med school, but I could see someone giving up rads if you decide you really enjoy patient care.

Oh Im just teasing. Derm for sure, I could not have matched derm coming out of med school, but I could see someone giving up rads if you decide you really enjoy patient care.
Funny, bc most people who like Rads do it bc they HATE the daily drudge of patient care. Also most candidates who get into GI and are top of their IM class, could have easily gotten Derm.