Applying to PsyD/PhD programs with everything but a good overall GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClinPsychHope

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm finishing all of my applications and wanted to know everyone's opinion on my situation...

My first BA was earned a few years ago and was not completed with the highest gpa(~2.6). I worked for 3 years in the my first BA's field, and then decided to go back to school for Psychology.

I re-enrolled and completed my 2nd BA in Psychology with ~3.9. I took the GRE and scored ~1300. I have approximately 1 year of research experience, as well as 3 great letters of rec.(which I'm sure everyone has).

I've noticed a few schools have a minimum requirement of a 3.0. Does that mean my application automatically gets thrown out? Or, because of my unique situation with two BA's, some of the schools will give my application a more holistic approach?

I've been browsing through the Interview 2009 thread and it's definitely got my nerves going. :scared:

Any advice from the forum veterans? Anybody else in, or has been in a situation like mine?

Thanks, and good luck to all the other people applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Your Psych GPA would be most important, so the 3.9 there should help you out, I would suspect. The 2.6 obviously won't help you but since you have a second BA with a 3.9, my guess is that your average for all UG coursework (which, from what I can tell, is what they are evaluating) should almost certainly make the 3.0 cutoff. My guess would be that while your GPA isn't going to make you, it probably won't be what does your application in either. Best of luck in this process either way!
That's one thing we ALL need!

It's possible. I know someone with a sub-3.0 UG who did a Masters in Counseling Psych (license eligible), got some research experience, and got into a funded Clinical PhD program on her second round of applications (the first was geographically restricted).

What's your cumulative UG GPA (both degrees combined)?

Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if I wasn't clear before. My overall GPA after finishing my second BA in Psychology is ~2.6. However, all of my coursework in Psychology is ~3.9. My overall undergrad GPA is still hurting pretty good unfortunately. My early college years(we're talking 7-10 years ago) were not the most productive. :(

Sorry if I wasn't clear before. My overall GPA after finishing my second BA in Psychology is ~2.6. However, all of my coursework in Psychology is ~3.9. My overall undergrad GPA is still hurting pretty good unfortunately. My early college years(we're talking 7-10 years ago) were not the most productive. :(

what do those two end up being together? is it a 2.6 at 120 credits and a 2nd BA at 40 at 3.9? just wondering if together they make a 3.0. when they are added together-- some schools average them together and some just look at your most recent degree. what did you put on your apps? when they asked for undergraduate GPA, did you both either, both, or a weighted cumulative overall? if you put 2.6, yes, it is possible that for some very competitive apps that get 300+ apps, they will see that 2 and that will be that. other places maybe not, but chances really go up if your most recent GPA starts with a 3. did you address it in your PS? it to me a gazillion years to finish undergrad due to $, family stuff and i very briefly mentioned that in my PS, and for me i don't think that was a problem. once they take a look at your app, if you made it clear that what happened was in the past and your recent record confirms that, then you've done all you can, and it's up to them to see if they want an adult with life experience who has had a challenge but later overcame it or not.

Last edited:
I think he (she?) is saying that with the psych credits calculated in, the total UG GPA (for both degrees combined) is 2.6.

Are you sure your transcripts would list 1 GPA cumulative over both degrees? That seems off to me; I would think that you would have one transcript for each degree.

Some schools do have cutoffs. You *can't* get into my uni with less than a 3.0 or less than 1000 combined GRE, for example; it's seet up be the college and there's no way around it. I'd check with the POI or DCT at each place to see if those are hard and fast rules or if every application is considered.

Now may be a good time to limit your site visits to SDN to less than 100/hour and start a new hobby ;) I'm taking my own advice.

Last edited:
Are you sure your transcripts would list 1 GPA cumulative over both degrees? That seems off to me; I would think that you would have one transcript for each degree.

Some schools do have cutoffs. You *can't* get into my uni with less than a 3.0 or less than 1000 combined GRE, for example; it's seet up be the college and there's no way around it. I'd check with the POI or DCT at each place to see if those are hard and fast rules or if every application is considered.

Our schools won't let you get two BA's at the same insitution but I don't know how it is where the poster is located. So, here, to have 2 BA's, one would have had to attend 2 schools. Even outside of our state system, some schools won't award a second BA and would make a student enroll in a BS or BFA or BSM or something other than another BA. So, I have just zero personal experience or professional advising experience with that situation.

That being said, I did run across at least 1 situation where the student was successfully able to appeal the baseline grad school requirements to make it to the departmental review of her application packet. She had a 2.8 overall gpa and the grad school minimum was 3.0 just for admission to the school before even being up for consideration by the department. She appealed, won, and gained admission BUT she had special health considerations.

I'd guess the 2nd performance of the poster would demonstrate a change in academic attitude that would sway most departments and my advisement (same as JN) would be to email your schools of interest and ask them specifically the best way to handle your situation at their school. Processes will vary and it's never too early to start making a plan.

Good luck to you.

That's a strange situation to be in, having two BA's. You will probably need to call the schools you are interested in to see what they say, but definitely play up your second degree - I wouldn't automatically average them together unless that is what you are told to do.

I am also in a similar situation with a low undergrad GPA, and I decided that getting a MA first made sense for me. My MA program states on their website that the minimum GPA cutoff is 3.0, but I took a semester of courses as a non-matriculated student to demonstrate my abilities and then I had no problem being admitted. However, as it has already been pointed out, some of those minimums are set by the school, not the department, and there is no way around them.

I also wanted to mention that most grad schools don't actually seem to have a strict 3.0 cutoff (I applied to cognitive programs, but it was often the same app as clinical). In fact I can't think of any offhand, though one or two required that your last 2 year GPA be over a 3.0. Oregon also has some formula that you can use to see if your app will pass the first round. Of course w/ a low GPA, and even 3.0 is pretty low, it doesn't matter if you meet a cut-off or not - you're going to have to work extra hard to sell yourself.

Hi! How did it turn out? Did you get into a funded program?
I find myself in a similar situation and wonder what came of your situaton.