Applying to rads with a TY already in progress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toolbox

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone would be able to help me out with my situation. I initially wanted a super competitive surgical specialty, and failed to obtain a spot. Radiology was always an interest of mine, so I took a transitional year spot, with the thought that I could at least get it out of the way and this time apply for rads (I have seen the light). Can anyone direct me on how this would go if I successfully matched into a rads spot? I know that it would be for the 2007-2008 year, but what could I do next year? I know this opens me up to plenty of cynicism, but I just wondered if I could moonlight, or take another TY, or just get a job at McD's. I'd rather not have to repeat the TY, but I need a paycheck...bad! If anybody knows of someone who has gone down this route, please let me know what they did. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

:) though this may interest you. temple university (PA) has a combined nuclear medicine-radiology residency.

"If you are currently in a PGY-1 training year and match into our radiology residency program for July 1, 2007, you are eligible for our 5-year Nuclear Medicine residency (PGY-2) track beginning July 1, 2006 if you have completed a PGY1 preliminary/transitional year by then. "

http://www.templehealth.org/radiology/programinfo.htm

good luck

Keep looking around. There are allways a couple of spots floating around were people leave. While this might not get you into the most competitive program, it would allow you to continue next year without loosing time.

Yes, there are people who had to do something else for a year.

If you are a US graduate, you can get a unrestricted medical license at the end of internship. If you are willing to go into the bundoks, you might be able to find a job as 'physician general practice'. I have no idea where these jobs are advertised. I do know that someone who started residency with me worked 2 years for a clinic somewhere in Alaska. It paid him about $110k which even after the expenses specific to AK (travel and vehicle) allowed him to make a dent into his school loans. Medically, he allways had someone else to fall back on if something was above his head (the way he explained it he sort of worked like a NP or PA in many respects).