Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Applying to School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DMBFan61, May 1, 2004.

1. DMBFan61

DMBFan61 Boomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Any advice on the NUMBER of schools to apply to? Some people I talk to applied to 30 and some only 3. Any advice?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

In my opinion, it depends on three factors:

(1) Where do you live? If you're in California or New York, the number will be orders of magnitude higher than the midwest.

(2) How good are your numbers? You don't need exact statistics. Basically, "Below average", "Average", "Competitive", and "VERY Competive". The later the category, the fewer the schools, so long as you're not thinking Top 10 or are considering research.

(3) How picky are you? If you're looking for very specific characteristics, or can't live without certain things, be honest with yourself. Only apply to schools you are interested in attending and would be happy at. What good is a "back-up" school if you wouldn't go anyway? Dont apply just so you can SAY that you "got in".

My opinion is not worth much, but I hope this helps.

Based on your answers to these three questions, the number can range from one to thirty. I'm doing 8.

4. idq1i

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It depends on your profile. I applied to 9. I know some people that had applied to 30+

3.5 and a 33->apply to 15 schools That sounds reasonable

5. DMBFan61

DMBFan61 Boomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    1. Live in Oklahoma
    2. Numbers - GPA: Very Competitive MCAT - don't know for sure yet, but my kaplan full lengths were 29-31.
    3. Not too picky. Would not want to be in a place smaller than OU COM (Oklahoma City)

6. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

In that case, I'd be comfortable with 8-10. Some people are going to tell you to do more. I disagree. Secondaries and travel is expensive. I think the average person probably applies to at least three or four schools they either (a) wouldn't go to if they DID get accepted or (b) applied to that doesn't take out of state applicants. I know a guy from Oregon who applied to Missouri. Missouri takes four OOS people a year, and they're all committed to living in MO.

Pick 6 of the eight VERY CAREFULLY. "Goldilocks". If you want to live in a big city, go for it. Rural? We have that, too. If you love sports, check out Tufts or SLU. Like to SCUBA dive? Go somewhere that'll be convenient. Want PBL? You get the idea.

The rest can be whatever you want. Maybe two backups, maybe two Top 10s.

7. Vandyfox

Vandyfox Member
    5+ Year Member

If you know what kind of education / geographical location you are interested in, start researching the schools now. I knew I wanted to be in the midwest and work in rural medicine, so I looked around at a LOT of schools there.

1) Apply to any / all of your home state-schools (standard)
    2) Apply to any out of state - state schools that you are really interested in (it's damn near impossible to get in to other people's state schools- I know, unfortunately from experience: Iowa, Wisconsin, Mizzou, Ohio State, Michigan St. all gave me the boot- I'm from IL, 3.6 gpa at Vandy, 32 MCAT) but in the long run, it didn't hurt me at all to apply, so take it as you will. . .
    3) Apply to Private Schools that you are interested in (I looked at programs for Wash U., Vandy, and Northwestern and said, hell i don't like that stuff, why even apply)

If it helps, I applied to 14 total (and ended up bailing on like 3 secondaries / withdrawing from interviews anyway).

Good luck
    Vandyfox

p.s. Dave Matthews Band SUX! (just kidding, one of my best friends / roomates just loved "Dave" so i had to listen to it for an entire year)

8. DMBFan61

DMBFan61 Boomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    thanks for the advice

9. izzyfine

izzyfine Member
    5+ Year Member

I applied to 18 schools my first try and about 20 schools my second attempt (which was successful). I would argue for more schools as opposed to less for the following reasons

1. I know applicants with amazing numbers who (for whatever reason) just don't get in. Lesson-there is no such thing as a safety medical school. If adcoms are nothing else they are fickle.
    2. Yes, applying to a lot of schools is expensive but you can always withdraw and turn down interviews once you hear (with certainty) good news from any one school.
    3. The more interviews you go on the more seasoned you become. If/when you get that "dream" interview the fact that you are experienced can really help. It took me a few interviews before I got confident/calm about the process.

*Do research if you are applying to a state school of which you are not a resident. UMDNJ even requires an essay from all out of state applicants as to why they want to attend.

**Be careful about going nuts. I've heard that it looks suspicious if you apply to more than 30 schools. The reason may be because that it is hard to believe that anyone could be sincerely interested in that many programs. If you ask to apply to such a large number my premed dept strongly urges you to talk with them before you do it. I can't imagine that is good a thing. :thumbdown: