This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsmith3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have submitted my primary AMCAS application and have received a secondary application from every school that I choose to apply to. There are a few schools were I do not meet their letter of recommendation requirements(I only have one science professor of the two that they require). I have other letters of rec that I believe are very strong, and I think my application stands a chance in the applicant pool. I was wondering if it is worth it to submit the secondary applications to these schools where I do not meet the rec. requirements. They sent me a secondary, so I am not sure if the pre-screened my application or not. Im not sure if they just want my money, and will immediately eliminate my application for consideration or if they will still review my application but will take this requirement into account. Please let me know from your experiences or from people you may know, I appreciate the help. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have submitted my primary AMCAS application and have received a secondary application from every school that I choose to apply to. There are a few schools were I do not meet their letter of recommendation requirements(I only have one science professor of the two that they require). I have other letters of rec that I believe are very strong, and I think my application stands a chance in the applicant pool. I was wondering if it is worth it to submit the secondary applications to these schools where I do not meet the rec. requirements. They sent me a secondary, so I am not sure if the pre-screened my application or not. Im not sure if they just want my money, and will immediately eliminate my application for consideration or if they will still review my application but will take this requirement into account. Please let me know from your experiences or from people you may know, I appreciate the help. Thanks

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naïve, if not pathologically optimistic.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naïve, if not pathologically optimistic.

I'm quite curious. Do the medical school do preliminary screening before sending out a secondary application? Or do all schools just send it out no matter what?

I'm quite curious. Do the medical school do preliminary screening before sending out a secondary application? Or do all schools just send it out no matter what?
It's depends upon the schools. I have read that Vandy pre-screens and only sends out secondaries to ~30% of all applicants (or it might be only applicants who meet a particular GPA/MCAT criteria).

But here are definitely other schools that are promiscuous with secondaries, as witnessed by numerous SDN pots from low stats people hyper-excited with getting a secondary, when you know they have no chance in hell of getting an II.