Applying to schools where MCAT is 90th %ile and GPA is 10%th

Jun 25, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Greetings fellow SDNers,

Would any of you be so kind as to share your wisdom/experiences with applying to a school where you fall right at the top of the 90th %ile of their MCAT range, but fall literally at the very bottom of their 10th %ile GPA range? Does it look good, bad, neutral? II still obtainable? Etc. For context, non-URM, Texas resident, have an SMP, very solid clinical experience, average community service, negligible research.

I am sure this question has been tossed around more times than one can count, but I know being a Texas resident really changes some things. @Goro / any other verified adcom, thoughts?

Thanks!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
TX schools appear to strongly prefer high gpa's.
TX residents who are not recruitment scholars are at a disadvantage when applying to OOS MD schools.
All you can do is apply to TX schools and see how it goes.
@Marcion had a similar situation iirc.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
You're fine for any DO school, including mine.

For MD, stick with TX.

Greetings fellow SDNers,

Would any of you be so kind as to share your wisdom/experiences with applying to a school where you fall right at the top of the 90th %ile of their MCAT range, but fall literally at the very bottom of their 10th %ile GPA range? Does it look good, bad, neutral? II still obtainable? Etc. For context, non-URM, Texas resident, have an SMP, very solid clinical experience, average community service, negligible research.

I am sure this question has been tossed around more times than one can count, but I know being a Texas resident really changes some things. @Goro / any other verified adcom, thoughts?

Thanks!

Reactions: WutsUpDoc23
Aug 19, 2016
Status
TX residents who are not recruitment scholars are at a disadvantage when applying to OOS MD schools.
If OP had a high SMP GPA, wouldn't that look good to the schools that want the high GPA?
TX does prefer higher gpas over higher MCATs, which is unfortunate for someone like me with an average gpa but higher MCAT haha
Although TT Lubbock is notorious for accepting people with lower gpa but higher MCATS.

OP
W
Jun 25, 2016
Status
Yes, I've heard that us Texans, while having a huge advantage at instate schools, are at an equally huge disadvantage out of state. :(
Thank you for your advice, I have submitted and transmitted already, just waiting to hear back!

OP
W
Jun 25, 2016
Status
You're fine for any DO school, including mine.

For MD, stick with TX.
Thanks for the response! That is pretty much exactly what I am doing this cycle, just wanted to be sure I was still at least somewhat in the running for instate MD schools.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
If OP had a high SMP GPA, wouldn't that look good to the schools that want the high GPA?
TX does prefer higher gpas over higher MCATs, which is unfortunate for someone like me with an average gpa but higher MCAT haha
Although TT Lubbock is notorious for accepting people with lower gpa but higher MCATS.
I don't know how they view SMP's in TX.
SMP's have become so common that only schools with an established relationship to the SMP can be reliably expected to consider such candidates.

OP
W
Jun 25, 2016
Status
I don't know how they view SMP's in TX.
SMP's have become so common that only schools with an established relationship to the SMP can be reliably expected to consider such candidates.
The one I attended is undoubtedly the most reputable of all the Texas SMPs, but you are correct, even here there have been multiple SMPs pop up within the last year or so. But again, I can say with absolute certainty that the program I attended was the best in Texas.

OP
W
Jun 25, 2016
Status
Well okay but you haven't really given us any information. So I guess follow @Goro's advice.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
Sorry for being so vague, I have above a 90th percentile on the new MCAT, around a 3.3-3.4 GPA, and above a 3.8 SMP GPA. Is there any more information you need? Thanks!

Aug 19, 2016
Status
The one I attended is undoubtedly the most reputable of all the Texas SMPs, but you are correct, even here there have been multiple SMPs pop up within the last year or so. But again, I can say with absolute certainty that the program I attended was the best in Texas.
I've heard through the grapevine that UNT SMP is really really good for people who want to get into UNT med school. But for other med schools, the linkage isn't there, so it won't be as effective.
I think gyngyn is right (seeing as she's an adcom) about the linkage being very important. That's why it would benefit you at UNT, but not sure about other schools. I know most of the UT schools tend to look at ugpa more. A&M and Tech are the most receptive to SMP grades.

That 3.3-3.4 will hurt at schools that tend to look at ugpa more than SMP. But you have that amazing MCAT and SMP, so Tech will love you for sure.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Tell us how it goes!

OP
W
Jun 25, 2016
Status
I've heard through the grapevine that UNT SMP is really really good for people who want to get into UNT med school. But for other med schools, the linkage isn't there, so it won't be as effective.
I think gyngyn is right (seeing as she's an adcom) about the linkage being very important. That's why it would benefit you at UNT, but not sure about other schools. I know most of the UT schools tend to look at ugpa more. A&M and Tech are the most receptive to SMP grades.

That 3.3-3.4 will hurt at schools that tend to look at ugpa more than SMP. But you have that amazing MCAT and SMP, so Tech will love you for sure.
Thanks so much! That was enlightening, I did not know that A&M and Tech were particularly receptive relative to other schools. Thanks again!

Aug 19, 2016
Status
Thanks so much! That was enlightening, I did not know that A&M and Tech were particularly receptive relative to other schools. Thanks again!
No problem! A friend of mine did the Med Sci program at UNT, and about 60% of the graduates went to UNT, 10% went to OOS MD or DO schools, and about another 10% went to Tech and A&M (those 2 take the majority of those 10%, but the other TX schools take a few as well). The remaining 10% either didn't apply/didn't get in.