Applying to schools with deadline of April 1st now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sexyman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply to Touro in Harlem and Lake Erie in Bradenton for 2007 but I am taking the April 16th MCAT. Do I have any chance of getting in or will all of the spots be taken by the time they get my MCAT scores?

Thanks

Joe

Members don't see this ad.

I want to apply to Touro in Harlem and Lake Erie in Bradenton for 2007 but I am taking the April 16th MCAT. Do I have any chance of getting in or will all of the spots be taken by the time they get my MCAT scores?

Thanks

Joe

Have you filled out your AACOMAS? If not, that will take about 4-6 weeks to get verified. If you already have filled it out, give it a shot.

I think you're out of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have it filled out...what do you mean verified?

Joe

you are kidding right?
applying for the 2007 cycle in april of 2007 is crazy and a waste of money and time.
just take your time and get ready for the 2008 cycle and apply EARLY!
Getting into med school is not a race.

No its not a race (and im actually not kidding)...but I am a senior and applying for 2008 I will have to take a year off.

I already have the app finished...so am I wasting anything other than money?

Joe

Isn't that enough? You're throwing the money away... Touro-NY maybe bc it started its admissions cycle VERY late... but anywhere else you can just forget...

I got my acceptance to PCOM yesterday. I was complete there mid-October, and that was considered to be fairly late in the game. AACOMAS opened up to applications in May of 2006 for this cycle.

What have you been doing with yourself all this time!? Did you apply MD and not gain acceptance before deciding to go DO?

For a good chance at a top-choice institution, you should hold off for a year.

MaximusD congratulations on your acceptance at PCOM! I go to school at Rowan University which is in South Jersey about 20 min away from PCOM, it is a wonderful school! It is actually one of my favorites. If their deadline were in April and not February I wouldnt apply their anyway so that I wouldnt ruin my chances for 2008...

What have I been doing with myself...I was undeclared my freshmen year and I had not completed all of the necessary courses that are required to do well on the MCAT so I had to wait to take the test this April coming. So I did not apply anywhere because I figured that they wouldnt look at my application until they recieved my MCAT score.

I fully intend to apply to schools for 2008 admission on June 1st (which will be as early as possible). But I was just thinking if I had any chance of getting into LECOM of TOURO it would be worth the shot.

Joe

MaximusD congratulations on your acceptance at PCOM! I go to school at Rowan University which is in South Jersey about 20 min away from PCOM, it is a wonderful school! It is actually one of my favorites. If their deadline were in April and not February I wouldnt apply their anyway so that I wouldnt ruin my chances for 2008...

What have I been doing with myself...I was undeclared my freshmen year and I had not completed all of the necessary courses that are required to do well on the MCAT so I had to wait to take the test this April coming. So I did not apply anywhere because I figured that they wouldnt look at my application until they recieved my MCAT score.

I fully intend to apply to schools for 2008 admission on June 1st (which will be as early as possible). But I was just thinking if I had any chance of getting into LECOM of TOURO it would be worth the shot.

Joe

Do you have a legitimate interest in those schools? Please remember that there is no rush... you are making a four-year and $200k+ commitment.

Between the two, I'd choose LECOM bc I don't want any part of 1) paying to live in Manhattan and 2) LECOM has relatively low tuition for a private school.

Of course, I love Florida! Especially the west coast with the Gulf of Mexico! haha Plus the tuition is only 25K a year, hard to beat that.

And Harlem would be great because I want to go to school in NYC and live in North Jersey and would be close to home...

Do you think I am underestimating the difference in quality of the different DO schools and the differences in residency opportunities that will be available to me? Do you see LECOM and TOURO as a significantly inferior medical school?

Joe

Of course, I love Florida! Especially the west coast with the Gulf of Mexico! haha Plus the tuition is only 25K a year, hard to beat that.

And Harlem would be great because I want to go to school in NYC and live in North Jersey and would be close to home...

Do you think I am underestimating the difference in quality of the different DO schools and the differences in residency opportunities that will be available to me? Do you see LECOM and TOURO as a significantly inferior medical school?

Joe

I wouldn't want to start a flame war... I personally don't want anything to do with any LECOM anywhere. Rules and restrictions aren't my thing.

And I never considered touro...lots of bad press on these forums.

The new school seems to be looking good though... and you can't beat NYC for clinical rotations...

For my 200k, however, I wouldn't want to gamble on something that's not absolutely a sure thing. That is why my top choice DO schools were PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, and CCOM.

I wouldn't want to start a flame war... I personally don't want anything to do with any LECOM anywhere. Rules and restrictions aren't my thing.

And I never considered touro...lots of bad press on these forums.

The new school seems to be looking good though... and you can't beat NYC for clinical rotations...

For my 200k, however, I wouldn't want to gamble on something that's not absolutely a sure thing. That is why my top choice DO schools were PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, and CCOM.

I agree:thumbup:

Please excuse my ignorance... What do you mean about rules and regulations?

And by all means dont hold back on flame wars, I appreciate all of your comments and opinions.

Rules/Regs:

1. Attendance Policy
2. Dress Code

While I don't dress in sweats, I like to wear jeans and I don't see how wearing khakis will enhance my ability to learn.

While I anticipate going to all or most classes, I would like the ability to not go to lecture if I find it less worthwhile than independent study. This is probably not going to be the case bc I'm a product of television so it is easier for me to acquir eand remember information if I'm hearing and seeing it rather than by actively reading it and processing it...

There are other complaints about lecom as well... bradenton doesn't seem to get as many complaints as erie...

If you think you'd be content at TOURO-NY then apply away.

I'd sooner throw away $200 for a secondary than a year waiting... but that does depend on how you spend your year I guess.

Do you have very competitive stats?

Maximus,

Bradenton uses Problem Based Learning in their curriculum. They are not in class 8-5 like most schools, for the most part I believe they don't even have lectures. They teach mostly out of doing case studies in groups of 8, I suppose this is why they are sticklers about attendance because "class" is much less frequent.

Lateapplicant,

Based on your SDN name Im not surprised youd sooner throw away 200 applying late, I share the same philosophy. As for my stats I'm not sure how competitive they are...they are probably not (very competitive).

-My overall GPA is a 3.6 and I would estimate my science around a 3.8
-Two clinical experiences, I shadowed an MD at a private practice and I have volunteer experience in an Emergency Department.
- The only other extra curriculars I have are a couple stupid clubs, honor societies, intramurals, o and I played College Baseball my freshmen year ( we went to the National Championship Im hoping this helps a little.)
- The MCAT score is an unknown because im taking it in April.

The Touro-NY class is filling up fast so I wouldn't waste the money even though it started late. The only reason I say this is because I made the mistake of applying to NYCOM last year in February and they didn't even look at my application because they already had all their spots and waitlists filled already. Touro-NY has waitlisted people already as well... just something to consider just my 2 cents

What kind of stats do the people getting waitlisted have? Does anyone know others or are willing to share?

If you go to the MCAT website, it has a link (and unfortunately, nothing for DO schools in particular)- but most MD schools wouldn't even consider January of '07 MCAT scores for the class starting in '07. I doubt anyone is going to consider April scores.

Thanks

Joe

Anythings possible, but I would say save your money and apply this summer for the 2008 term.

The verdict is out.

I am going to go with SDN and will sit out for 2007. Thanks for all of the helpful comments.