Sep 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi. I'm new on SDN, but I've been quite anxious about my chances of getting into MD schools when I sent out my AMCAS app for verification on September 10, 2015. I applied to mostly in-state schools (1o MD schools total) and others that were less competitive.

I have a 28 MCAT
GPA of 3.5

I've also applied to 10 DO schools as well.

Thanks!

OP
Student114
Sep 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Yeah, sorry, but you're not in good shape for MD in New York.
Thanks.
Would it be worth my time to even submit 2nd apps when they come in?
I mean, some of the schools have a deadline of Dec 15 for the primary application.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks.
Would it be worth my time to even submit 2nd apps when they come in?
I mean, some of the schools have a deadline of Dec 15 for the primary application.
That deadline is absolute latest you can submit. Mid-september is already considered late. I'm not sure about how this is looked at (you'd have to ask an adcom), but if you plan to apply next year, you should do everything you can to avoid being labeled a reapplicant (gyngyn, Goro, or LizzyM would be able to tell you whether that's pre secondary, post secondary, pre primary, etc). However, if you're going to take any acceptance (MD or DO) and run with it, then sure, if you have spare money and time, throw out a few apps to the NY schools with the lowest stats, and if you get DO and not MD, then good for you, whatever, take it and run.

Reactions: gyngyn

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
You have already applied so there's no going back this cycle.
Pre-write the answers to the secondaries and hope for the best.
IS chances for all NY applicants are 29%. It could be a lot worse.

We've given out more than half the interviews...

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
While New York does have tons of medical school your MCAT is at least 4 points below the median for all of them.

If you're going to give a try this cycle your odds will be best at NYMC, Albany, and Downstate. You will be competitive for the majority of DO programs.

Invest in MSAR. Check out lower tier schools and their 10th percentile MCATs. If a school takes a fair amount of OOS applicants and its 10th percentile MCAT is in the 27-29 range, there's a good chance you should consider applying to it. You can do that come back here list some of the schools you found and we can tell you whether they are worth applying to.

Realize the odds are against you here with a 3.5/28. But if you apply broadly and ASAP to a number of lower tiers and have strong secondary essays, who knows, see what happens. If you have an upward trend and at least a 9 in every section that will help your cause, although like others have said, this really is getting late for borderline applicants.

Last edited: