Applying to Texas Out of State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr2010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was curious about learning more about the texas application system, and for the record Im a CA applicant. My father is an alumnus (?) of T A&M, would that help for my chances at their med school considering I have some ties to texas?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr2010 said:
Hi everyone, I was curious about learning more about the texas application system, and for the record Im a CA applicant. My father is an alumnus (?) of T A&M, would that help for my chances at their med school considering I have some ties to texas?

It's pretty hard to get into the Texas schools as an out of state applicant. You're going to need to be a walk on water type of applicant. As far as the ties to Texas go, I was told that they are looking for people who are going to stay and practice in Texas. I don't think your ties are substantial enough to demonstrate this and I don't recall there being a place on TMDSAS for you to indicate where your parents went to school at (It's been a year since I applied so I could be wrong). Still, good luck to you if you decide to apply here.

No, there is no specific place to list your ties. Unfortunately I would guess that most out-of-staters also have some ties to TX if they plan on applying to schools with less than 10% out-of-state. I can not vouch for ATM but I have a friend that attended college in TX but was an out-of-state applicant. He was told by UT-Houston that his 38Q MCAT was not high enough for non-residents.

The best of luck at ATM though.

Members don't see this ad :)
TexPre-Med said:
I have a friend that attended college in TX but was an out-of-state applicant. He was told by UT-Houston that his 38Q MCAT was not high enough for non-residents.

Well then how do you explain GetUnconscious getting in there with a 36?

BrettBatchelor said:
I believe he went to Houston itself as an undergrad.

He went to The University of Houston, a state school, which is separate from The University of Texas - Houston.

Try Baylor, they accept more than 10% of out of state applicants, although on the other hand their standards are higher than other state Texas schools (save maybe Dallas). TMDSAS schools are required by law to have at least 90% Texas residents and most schools surpass that percentage.

BrettBatchelor said:
Still I think that was enough for UT-H. Any other UT wouldn't have accepted prolly.

Oh what do you know, Carlson?

TexPre-Med said:
No, there is no specific place to list your ties. Unfortunately I would guess that most out-of-staters also have some ties to TX if they plan on applying to schools with less than 10% out-of-state. I can not vouch for ATM but I have a friend that attended college in TX but was an out-of-state applicant. He was told by UT-Houston that his 38Q MCAT was not high enough for non-residents.

Are you sure they weren't just jacking with him?? I can't imagine ANYONE saying that a 38Q just wasn't going to cut it....even our proud and arrogant fellow Texans. That just makes no sense to me....and if he went to a tx school, was he accepted to UH OOS? Just curious!

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized my mistake. getunconscious went to UH, not your friend....sorry, I'm a jack@ss, anyways....still don't see it. What with our most "prestigious" state school (UTSW) having a 32-33 avt MCAT score....just a thought.

It is VERY true. However he did get into UTSW, Emory, and Vandy so he wasn't totally disappointed.

Kind of weird though because Brett is strangely on target. This guy was accepted to UTSW and attended undergrad in DFW while the U of H guy got into UT-H.