Applying to Texas Schools as an OOS-Applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vk77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just turned in my AMCAS primary and I am interested in applying to some schools in Texas. I'm from a neighboring state, and have close familial ties to the state (grandparents, uncle), though I'm not sure if I'm competitive enough to get an interview at its schools (34 MCAT, 3.7 sGPA). Would it be worth applying to these schools? I am already applying to ~30 schools on AMCAS.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The 'lower tier' TX schools seem to like OOS applicants with high stats.
Would the tuition break be worth the 'diminished reputation' to you?

Hi guys Im in the same situation.

I'm applying from Oklahoma as a OOS applicant. However I have a lot of ties to the state. But I have a 4.00 GPA and 31 MCAT.

I was a little confused on how the Texas application worked.

I am going to submit my application this week and will be filling out the required secondary's for the 5 schools in the next few weeks

My transcripts are received. However my letters will not come in until August. My undergrad does a committee interview and state they should be done and uploaded by July 20-August 1. Will this put me at a disadvantage? Should I even apply to Texas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys Im in the same situation.

I'm applying from Oklahoma as a OOS applicant. However I have a lot of ties to the state. But I have a 4.00 GPA and 31 MCAT.

I was a little confused on how the Texas application worked.

I am going to submit my application this week and will be filling out the required secondary's for the 5 schools in the next few weeks

My transcripts are received. However my letters will not come in until August. My undergrad does a committee interview and state they should be done and uploaded by July 20-August 1. Will this put me at a disadvantage? Should I even apply to Texas?

No, it will not put you at a disadvantage. Being complete in late July/early August is fine.

Reactions: 1 user
As opposed to what? The higher tier TX schools liking OOS with low stats?

Cute @ActorENFP -- No, the highest-rated TX schools are very low-yield for OOS applicants, even those with high stats, since they 'skim the cream' of the IS applicants. I'm not sure exactly what they're looking for, but would presume that it's whatever they feel they're missing (so diversity) from the in-state applicants.

The 'lower tier' TX schools are, I presume, looking to improve their published numeric averages and bring in top-caliber applicants, so sorry @mohsain12, your average MCAT limits your odds pretty significantly. "Strong ties" are all well and good, but when only 10% of your students (so ~20) can come from OOS, the TX schools are gonna cherry pick.

Reactions: 1 users
well I already filled out the app. for 140$ to apply to 10 schools is a steal.

I know I don't have that big of a chance at all, but Ill try I guess.

how high should one's stats be to have a shot at Texas schools?
what range (gpa and mcat) is considered "hopeful"?

how high should one's stats be to have a shot at Texas schools?
what range (gpa and mcat) is considered "hopeful"?

For In-State applicants, the whole gamut from 'marginal' to 'stratospheric' -- For those precious few OOS spots, I'd take a close look at what you bring to the table. Strong numbers? (3.9+ / 35+) That would be attractive to a school whose averages are 3.5 / 30. Diversity + strong numbers? Go for Baylor or UTSW.

What would be the lowest numbers I'd suggest applying with? Assuming you're within the realms of ordinary ECs and diversity, I'd say a 3.8 / 33 MCAT. (My personal opinion.) If you've cured cancer, you'd get some leeway.